cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

canned cycles

cc-2
6-Contributor

canned cycles

Hello

we recently purchased the complete machining licence for ProE. We sent our users to training and came back very disappointed as they said

"WE have NEVER seen another CAM software without canned cycles"

I am not a CAM expert and rely on my users. However, this situation has created a misconfidence in using ProE for CAM.

The other areas such as milling are find but the users focus on this aspects.

We are using WF4M150.

I take our company is not the only one using Complete Machining (we also have production machnining too) and canned cycles must also be a concerned for other users.

Our consultants seem to be helpless in providing us with a solution which will provide us with canned cycles.

Is that just a mental representation and indeed, it is not needed, just nice to have, is it really a missing feature.

I would like to hear from your experience, what you think of this situation and how you by-pass this lack of "critical" feature as some of our users say.

Thank you

Best regards

5 REPLIES 5
dford
1-Newbie
(To:cc-2)

What type of canned cycles are you referring to?

Holemaking cycles
hole-pattern cycles
milling cycles (pocketing, thread milling, ...)
lathe cycles (threading, rough turning, ...)

Some are supported right from the start (holemaking, and ?). Others can be supported through post-processor customization.

If you are not doing a lot of editing programs at the machine, and program size is not an issue, then there might not be much reason for cycles to be output.

We only use cycles for a few functions - Holemaking, Rough Turning/Facing, and Single-Point Threading. Rough turning/Facing is entirely accomplished by customizing the post-processors - We did it because we wanted easy control of DOC at the machine.

Regards,
Dave Ford
NC Programming Mgr.
G.W. Lisk Co.
Clifton Springs, NY 14432
(315) 462-4381
cncwhiz
1-Newbie

I'm not sure if you are talking about the lathe or the mill for canned
cycles. They are there just like other cam packages for milling. I don't do
lathe so I can not speak about that. Pro manufacturing is not real user
friendly at first but at least for me there is not much I can not do with
it. I do lots of drilling and tapping. Let me know if I can be of help, I
was where they are but I did not get any formal training.

_____
cc-2
6-Contributor

Hello

thank you for your quick reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned it. They are concerned with lathe canned cycles.

They claim that this features does not exist, which was confirmed by PTC, I believe.

I am therefore wondering how do other do. Can this be a show stoper, is it just a cosmetic feature etc.. etc..

Thank you

JoseCoronado
14-Alexandrite

Christophe, there are documented techniques to handle lathe canned
cycles. I think if you contact the PTC Mfg AE in your region he could be
able to help. Also, in the Advanced Manufacturing Training PJL there are
examples of those procedures...

In a separate e-mail you will receive an invitation to the mentioned
PJL....

Regards

Jose

What is the Advanced Manufacturing Training PJL? Is that a link on PTC website?

The canned cycles and most anything will have to have the post customized for that.

This is the website for Gpost which ProE uses for the post product inside Pro. http://www.austinnc.com/gpost.html

Do you have a sample Gcode file on what you would like to get out of the CAM system that has been use to produce a part already?

Top Tags