cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Bear with me!

olivierlp
Community Manager

Bear with me!

I live on the outskirts of Asheville, NC, on the US East coast. Regularly during the summer and fall, we receive the visit of black bears. They live in the surrounding mountains and freely roam around the neighborhoods, looking to see if there is anything interesting in our trash, or just hang out… 

This one was doing just that as I was working on the porch… Thought I’d share with the Community!

Olivier
20 REPLIES 20
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:olivierlp)

Nature is awesome! And sometimes a little scary!

Leigh
Community Manager

So...inquiring minds would like to know Olivier.....what was between you and that bear......(besides your phone)?  😁

Great video!

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Leigh)

Well, some trees for few minutes (portion of the video I cut). Then nothing. behind me, close, but a fence with a gate, in case I had to make a hasty retreat... But this bear was alone, no cubs, pretty chilled.   

While I am at it... My daughter and I observed a mama and 3 cubs at the same place, in Nov 2013. The kiddo wanted to cubs, cuz... they are cute! She stayed safely near me and we got a cool movie 😀

Olivier
Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

His cousin has been wandering around my small New England town 😉 On our community Facebook page, everyone is posting their sightings of this guy!

hubbbear.jpg

Glad he hasn't arrived behind my house yet because Maple gets very curious and tries to make friends with all the pets or wildlife on my street.  Hence, the trauma of removing porcupine quills from her face.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

No bears here in Houston. We have had a lot of rain lately and sometimes these guys move out of the swampier areas. This one was in the park near my house, right next to the road.

We were driving thru and both me and the wife said...wait, was that  what we thought it was?!? Had to make a u-turn to grab a couple of pictures. It was probably ~6-7 ft long.

StephenWilliams_2-1625764564347.png

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:StephenW)

Wow! for some reason, a croc feels more threatening / sneaky than a bear. I did not know they were in that area. One more reason to be weary of floods where you are...
Olivier
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Hahaha, there are a ton of alligators in the area. There is a good chance they are in any body of water of any size.

But they really don't want anything to do with humans.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Normally nothing like that here in eastern Iowa, though we do occasionally get a wayward bear or mountain lion.  The most plentiful large wild animal here is the deer.  Always have to be watchful for those who wish to jump out in front of my truck intent on causing damage.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Leigh
Community Manager
(To:kdirth)

Let me introduce my local neighborhood wildlife..... 😁

Bunny.jpg 

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Most likely bears smelled you a long ways off. Keep your distance as they can charge very quickly. Especially with cubs in tow. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

No bears around here but plenty of other wildlife.  A friend of mine saw this on her way home last night.  She said, "Clearly country folks are always kind… even to strangers!"

TomU_1-1626275924442.png

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:TomU)

Ahaha!  Nice one!

Olivier

Wildlife here in Germany is a little bit less spectacular, but still beautiful! schnecken.jpg

ElsaH
5-Regular Member

This is great!  Any more recent bear sightings?

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:ElsaH)

Yes, several recent bear sightings in my neighborhood, but not captured on camera, unfortunately...

Olivier

Only once in the wild nature have I come face to face with a brown bear. It was in the summer of 2009. The three of us went to travel beyond the Arctic Circle. The weather in that August month for this region was very warm and without rain, during the day in the sun it was 68°F (and so, an ordinary summer is a temperature of 54°F and rains all day long). Somewhere on the 3rd day of our trip, in the evening, we made a bonfire near the camp and sat down to have supper. After some time, a brown bear came out to us. He stopped 25 meters away from us and stood looking at us. We, in turn of, also silently looked at him, without moving. I had a camera with me, but I didn't even think to get it out, so as not to provoke the bear with my movements. This lasted for about 5 minutes in total, after which he ran in the opposite direction from us, closer to the forest. I remember most of all how he was absolutely calm when he first walked towards us, and then looked at us. Only the next day, I returned to the place where we met the bear and took photographs of its tracks left on the sand. This is my story. Below you can find some pictures from that trip (the soundtrack here will be: https://bit.ly/30S4zpl ).

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg 

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:VladimirN)

Great story and fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing. 

Olivier

Thank you, Olivier!

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:VladimirN)

I love the pictures, beautiful! and the story too, awesome!

Thanks, Stephen!

I will try to post with my photos here (in "PTCooler "OffTopic"") more often. Stay tuned!

Top Tags