cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Sheet Metal Notes

david.forrest
1-Newbie

Sheet Metal Notes

I have a sheet metal part which I flattened for a drawing.

The bend notes are to 2 decimal places and I want to change this to something sensible for the manufacturer. Where/how can I edit the format.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

As a person who spent 20+ years in precision metal fabrication, and now designs sheet metal components, my advice is simple; don't supply a flat pattern. Every metal fabricator has their own set of bend allowances/set backs that work for their shop/equipment/processes. Unless you have this information your flat pattern probably will not be what the vendor would start with. IMHO, you are best off properly specifying the final part you want, then hold the fabricator to that as their deliverable.

Mr. John Dugan,

I could not agree with you more on this one. When you provide a flat pattern for you assume that bend allowances and K-factors match exactly what is happening in manufacturing. If you are trying to put a precise number on the amount of raw material that goes into the finished part this can take some time.

Michael P. Locascio

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags