cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Simplifies reps of unbend/flat pattern

jschmehl
1-Newbie

Simplifies reps of unbend/flat pattern

Good morning gurus,
I have a case that I made in WF4 in solids. I converted it to sheet metal and made a flat pattern of it. I then made a simplified rep to remove the flat pattern so I can have an unbent state. When I try to show the simplified rep on a drawing the view states is grayed out.

What techniques does anyone else use to show a bent and unbent view of their work piece on the same drawing? Thanks.

Jamie Schmehl
Tool Designer
Synthes USA - West Chester, PA
610-719-1428

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

We always use family tables to control flat patterns. We use a _F suffix to distinguish the flat pattern instance.

Hi Jamie,

you can make a drw with both flat and formed state.

This does not work via the ?view states? drop down list when creating a
view.

Simply add the flat or formed state to the ?drawing models?. Right mouse on
the drw and then ?Proerties? or ?file / properties?. Then drawing models /
add state.

Andreas

This thread brings up a good point. My company also uses family tables to create flat patterns, we add those instances to our drawings and filter out the flat instances in the related tables shown in the drawing.

What are the pros/cons of using a simplified representation instead of the family table method? I can see immediately you can cut the number of instances in half since you don't have to deal with the flat states. Also, you don't have to filter the flat states out of the family table. From a memory perspective, it is nice you only have half of the files to have to store. The only "issue" I'd have is that in our sheet metal models we like to leave the part in its formed state. This means suppressing the flat pattern. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to leave it like this and use the simplified representations with adding in extra bend all/unbend all to create the same final affect. The down side of using those features instead of the flat pattern feature is that it does not stay at the bottom of the model tree.

What is everyone else's opinion?

I like both… simplified reps and family table. The only problem I have with using simplified reps is the master rep would be flat. The would be confusing to people viewing the part through ProductView and PDMLink.

As for people going in and modifying simp reps without understanding the ramifications… that’s a training issue.

One drawback to family table instances is the possibility that you'll
update the generic and forget to verify/update the instances. You might
open the flat state drawing and print without realizing it isn't
updated.

-Matt

Though if you're running with Intralink, it doesn't allow you to save the
part without verifying the instance. I'm assuming Windchill is the same way?

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jschmehl)

You can still save in a Windchill solution the generic without verifying the family table, but you do get a warning message.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

You can have the default option to verify when the warning message comes up so all you have to do is click OK when the warning comes up.

config option: verify_on_save_by_default yes

Top Tags