cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Welding symbol

hsuryaprakash
1-Newbie

Welding symbol

Hi Iam tottaly new to sheetmetal. So I have no idea about what the below symbol along with some value representing .

Any one Please ellaborate ?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

That is a flare-bevel weld. Basically where the outer bend radius of a bend is welded to a flat plate, this area is filled with weld.

The welds are ground flat (the 'G' = grinds finish, and the horizontal line over it means flat, as opposed to convex or concave). The 30 (8) should be the depth of preparation, and the -120 being the groove weld size. Although these numebrs seem a littel off / don't look right. They might be referrring to the length of the weld bead [30], (8) welds total along the length of the part, and the -120 is the weld pitch, center to center. 8 welds, 30 long, every 120 on center.. And this would mean the numbers are on the wrong side of the symbol. Can you go see the part? And measure / validate the welds & their placement?

This is for ANSI weld symbols. ISO weld symbols possibly differ...

weld-symbols.pngPaul is correct. I would suggest that you do a web search on Google or your favorite search engine for weld symbol chart. There are lots of images of charts that show the symbol and the corresponding weld joint along with diagrams of what the dimensions are used for.

I would attach some links but those get stopped for review by the moderator for review but I attached one that might help some.

I will also comment that no matter how well the welds are defined, and that there are symbols to detail just about every aspect of the weld, many symbols I've seen are wrong in some way..

Despite the best efforts, they are always open to interpretation!!

Top Tags