cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Dynamic analysis of cable-movement while move part to which cable is connected

kachten
1-Newbie

Dynamic analysis of cable-movement while move part to which cable is connected

Hello All,

I have a question. Is it possible in some way to check the cable movement dynamically if one of the parts is moved?

In other words: if I have 2 parts with the cable between them, and I move one of the parts? Can I view how the cable will react to the movement of the part?

As far as I know you can only move the part and regenerate, which will update the cable...

Thankyou very much!!

Greetings, Koen

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can you simulate the moving components in a part file where you drag the motion you want?

This is the only way you can watch a cable move dynamically that I know of. I would make the fixed member. Use datums and axis to define the moving member (for rotate and translation). Use the dynamic plane and axis to build the motion component. This is all in a part file, not an assembly. Edit the plane and see if you can drag it to the positions you want to test.

Next, place datum points where you want the cable to be fixed to the fixed component. Place datum points where you want the cable to tied to the dynamic component. Place a point appropriately where the cable hanger would be.

Create a small sketch with a short lines for both ends of the cable to help manage tangency.

Next, create a datum curve through points. Select the points in the series you want the cable to follow. In the dialog, add the tangency tot he small lines to help fix the end conditions.

Next, sweep a circle (or rectangle) through the datum curve.

Now go back and edit the datum plane you tested earlier. When you drag this plane, everything related to it should move with your cursor as you move the plane.

tip: the plane you define should have all the motion you require of your dynamic component. This gives you one drag feature to do the analysis. Maybe it is as simple as a point and axis that defines this. Then you would drag the point to rorate the plane, and the point can be the reference for translations as well. All the dynamic component features and the cable's dynamic portion are referenced back to these features.

If you need help with this but do not wish to share the design online, you are welcome to message me.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Not having the cabling package, I don't know how to do it with the normal cable features.

However, if you make the appropriate datum curve or series of sketches that are properly lined, you could have a curve interact dynamically by dragging related components. For instance, I can make a spring compress and expand by dragging it but not with Mechanism. So it comes down to how to simulate the cable through curves, and the curve can be the guide for a sweep feature that represents the cable.

Thankyou for your answer.

Is there an tutorial or something available??

thx!!

How complex is the dynamic motion you are evaluating?

If it can be can be on a single plane, I would use a sketch between the fixed and the moving object.

It is probably easiest to do this in a simplified part model that duplicated the motion and cable you want to evaluate.

It all comes down to the best technique for the analysis at hand. Normally I just try to break it down to the basics and use the power of parametric modeling to set up the test. The nice thing about Pro|E is the ability to dynamically move things that are not fully locked down just by editing them and dragging the remaining degrees of freedom. Subsequent features will update in real time if they are defined in such a way that you don't run into invalid constraint conditions.

It is for an assembly of a sort of crane. The part that is moved and rotated is attached with multiple cables. I want to check the cable will or won't interfere with eachother during the movement and rotation.

thx!!

Can you simulate the moving components in a part file where you drag the motion you want?

This is the only way you can watch a cable move dynamically that I know of. I would make the fixed member. Use datums and axis to define the moving member (for rotate and translation). Use the dynamic plane and axis to build the motion component. This is all in a part file, not an assembly. Edit the plane and see if you can drag it to the positions you want to test.

Next, place datum points where you want the cable to be fixed to the fixed component. Place datum points where you want the cable to tied to the dynamic component. Place a point appropriately where the cable hanger would be.

Create a small sketch with a short lines for both ends of the cable to help manage tangency.

Next, create a datum curve through points. Select the points in the series you want the cable to follow. In the dialog, add the tangency tot he small lines to help fix the end conditions.

Next, sweep a circle (or rectangle) through the datum curve.

Now go back and edit the datum plane you tested earlier. When you drag this plane, everything related to it should move with your cursor as you move the plane.

tip: the plane you define should have all the motion you require of your dynamic component. This gives you one drag feature to do the analysis. Maybe it is as simple as a point and axis that defines this. Then you would drag the point to rorate the plane, and the point can be the reference for translations as well. All the dynamic component features and the cable's dynamic portion are referenced back to these features.

If you need help with this but do not wish to share the design online, you are welcome to message me.

For some reason, the forum won't let me upload the video so I put it on YouTube.

This should give you an idea what I was describing:

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Great idea

dear Antonius,

Thankyou very much

kaerts
5-Regular Member
(To:kachten)

Hello,

This is a question that I put to my creo supplier.

Apparently he posted this here, thanks!

What we want to do is, is shown in this animation:

Simulation of cabels and Flexible pipes and export this as a movie from Creo.

The export has to be from Creo, in Creo we make technical correct simulation and technical drawings.

Here is the link to one of ower simulations made by a animation studio.

Whe have this vessel in Creo 2, with all moving parts using mechanism 6DOF, Pin connections,......

And control the motion with tab files made in microsoft excel.

The crane cables are in ower model and moving in the animation, but now whe have the need to simulate the bending/flexible cabels

kachten
1-Newbie
(To:kaerts)

Graag gedaan.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:kaerts)

It would be nice if you could manage multiple regenerations between frames in capturing Mechanism videos.

That would pretty much solve the problem if you want to set up the mechanism to test the motion.

I'll post that as an idea.

If you have maintenance please vote for this idea and feel free to add comments.

Mechanism Video - allow multiple regens between frames

Top Tags