cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Publishing an experience with a model containing decals

SoretteMichel
12-Amethyst

Publishing an experience with a model containing decals

Hi everyone.

Im' trying to create an experience from a model that contain some decals (such as a LCD display or a company sticker).

Those decals are visible in Creo Parametric.

Is there any chance that i could keep those decals in my experience ? As far as i know, when publishing this file in pvz format, the decals are lost.

So there might be another format or way of doing it ?

Thanks for your help,

Michel

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Michel,

there are 2 ways of doing it:

1. you add a 3D image in TWX Studio - this measn duplicate work (adding the decal image a second time) but is definitely a working solution.
  2. you can use the obj format with textures. I tried it with the 1.9 version and found that it could only display the texture in the ThingWorx Studio Editor view. I'm not sure if the renderers in Preview and ThingWorx View already show it with 1.10 but it's worth a try. I had used this model for my test: http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/school-bus-wrecked/1/obj . You must create a zip with this content:

and then you can import it as TWX Studio resource.

Cheers, moritz

Uploading the zip file directly is not working for me as an object to choose. I thought of adding it manually to the resources folder. However it does not show up as a select-able resource for a model widget. What am I missing?

BryanK
14-Alexandrite
(To:Lino_Tozzi)

I'm having the same issue. I have tried with the same example listed and no luck.

Could you give some more detail please?

I got the following feedback from R&D:

For the School_Bus_Wrecked.zip, there is a  .dae file inside this. Remove it and add it as resource or publish .obj inside this zip using obj2pv and use that PVZ. For this data set, there is issue in processing DAE file that’s why you can’t see any geometry.

When I removed the .dae file from my zip it worked perfectly and I could see the texture in the Thingworx Studio editor, preview and also in ThingWorx View on Android (haven't tested Android/Win10). Here is the result to give you an impression:

IMG_0900.PNG

Cheers, moritz

I am still missing something. Do you upload the zip directly or do you unzip and upload the files individually? Maybe a screen shot of your resources would be helpful

mwassmann
5-Regular Member

it should look like this...

pay attention to the scale of the bus.

Import the obj file - but no "CAD optimization!". After uploading it, it becomes a .pvz .

Afterwards put all the other files (despite the .dae) into the resources by pressing the plus.

Hope it helps

Martin bus_texture.png

Thanks. That did help and I got it to work. The question now is how to get Creo Models with Textures to show up like the bus above. I tried Blender to create a OBJ with a material but that did not work.

mwassmann
5-Regular Member

Hej Lino,

it's the same workflow....unfortunately.

With blender you need to make sure that the textures are exported as well and mapped inside the obj file... there is a setting for it in Blender - I can't recap right now.

What Martin did obviously worked. I did it a bit differently: I zipped up all resources as shown in the 7-zip screenshot above - without the .dae in the zip file. The zip file name is <obj_file_base_name>.zip - in the case above the obj file is School_Bus_Wrecked.obj and the zip file name is School_Bus_Wrecked.zip. Adding this zip file as a resource converts it to a pvz file with the textures embedded in it:

When opening in CreoView you won't see these textures, but in Thingworx Studio and Thingworx View they are used.

Here are some more examples that I got from R&D: Crate1.zip (obj with texture), robomodo.zip (fbx with texture), HTC Evo low poly.zip (dae with texture).

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers. But i still find that the path to follow to get from a Creo Model using textures and decals to Thingworx Studio is a bit heavy.

So i tried to use the good old method that consist of adding 3D images and to place them on the appropriate location. (Which was ok for the model i'm working with as it's mainly stickers, buttons and LCD display). It worked pretty well.

But now i'm facing another issue : i would like to add a slider to control the rotation of the whole experience. So i'm adding the slider and bind the value to the rotation of the 3D model and the 3D images. Unfortunately, the 3D model turns clockwise and the 3D images reverse clockwise. Anything to to to simply modify the binding accordingly (such as value =Yrotation for one and value = Minus Y rotation  for the others) ? I would like to avoid to reposition the 3D model in a different coordinate system.

Thanks again for your help,

Hi,

I've not been able to get it to work using a ZIP file, but I can always get it to work using the following method:

1. Upload the MTLfile and all the images used for textures/

2. Upload the OBJ file and don't select the Run CAD Optimizer option

I've found that some of the models that I download from the internet are looking for the texture files in specific folders on the original uploader's computer.  So I open the MTL file in a text editor and remove any path information.  The textures and the OBJ file are then all in the same folder and I upload them into ThingWorx Studio as above and it works.

Regards,

Allan

Top Tags