cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creo Weird Window Behavior

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Creo Weird Window Behavior

I just noticed that Creo leaves an empty window open. This is Creo 2-m090. I wonder if other rev's behave like this?

1. Started up Creo.

2. I opened a drawing.

3. From the model tree, selected the top assembly in the drawing and picked open.

4. I switched back to the drawing and closed that window.

5. The screen switches back to the assembly.

But I noticed in the system tray that there are two windows open.
[cid:image001.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

When you hover over it so you see the files names, you see this:
[cid:image002.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

The "Creo Parametric" pick is an empty window. You can't close it.
The pull down inside of Creo show only one window choice.
[cid:image003.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

If I pick a sub-assy from the model tree, and pick open it opens it in the blank window.
I know that because I don't get a third window shown in the system tray, and it now shows this when I hover over it:
[cid:image004.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:davehaigh)

It's always been that way. (At least back to Wildfire [1].) The second window opened (ASM) doesn't "become" the primary window when the item in the primary window is closed.

Tom U.

Pretty sure it's been this way forever.

Proe has always done that. There's something special about that first window and it cannot be closed, even if the model in it is closed.

In Creo, however, I've seen it behave even goofier, showing "hidden parent" windows in the taskbar that really don't exist. If I close them (using the red X in the taskbar preview) the Creo windows sometimes go away completely, but Creo still shows as running in the Task Manager.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

To follow up on Donald & Doug's comments: ... the base window can seem strange (remember seeing the "base window cannot be closed" message?), but it can also be used to your advantage on occasion.     

For example, if someone is working through a tutorial (COAch, PTCU, etc.), and the Creo window is sized/positioned a particular way to share the screen, then opening only 1 model at a time (in the base window) can avoid having to re-size/re-position each new window that would otherwise open. Can save a lot of time/frustration when multiple models are not needed simultaneously.     

Regards,     

Terry     

To:    "-" <->     
Date:    03/26/2014 11:18 AM     
Subject:    [proecad] - RE: Creo Weird Window Behavior     

Proe has always done that. There’s something special about that first window and it cannot be closed, even if the model in it is closed.     

In Creo, however, I’ve seen it behave even goofier, showing “hidden parent” windows in the taskbar that really don’t exist. If I close them (using the red X in the taskbar preview) the Creo windows sometimes go away completely, but Creo still shows as running in the Task Manager.     

--     
Doug Schaefer|      
dgallup
4-Participant
(To:davehaigh)

Yes, Pro/E has done that forever. It makes no difference what kind of object you open in the first window. If you notice, there will be a message pop up telling you that you cannot close the first window. If you open another object it will come up in the first window.

In Reply to David Haigh:

I just noticed that Creo leaves an empty window open. This is Creo 2-m090. I wonder if other rev's behave like this?

1. Started up Creo.

2. I opened a drawing.

3. From the model tree, selected the top assembly in the drawing and picked open.

4. I switched back to the drawing and closed that window.

5. The screen switches back to the assembly.

But I noticed in the system tray that there are two windows open.
[cid:image001.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

When you hover over it so you see the files names, you see this:
[cid:image002.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

The "Creo Parametric" pick is an empty window. You can't close it.
The pull down inside of Creo show only one window choice.
[cid:image003.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

If I pick a sub-assy from the model tree, and pick open it opens it in the blank window.
I know that because I don't get a third window shown in the system tray, and it now shows this when I hover over it:
[cid:image004.png@01CF48CA.82114FC0]

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Top Tags