cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Drawing Best Practice

Norman
1-Newbie

Drawing Best Practice

Can anyone recommend some best practice or methods to show a background in the drawing but not in model space?

For example, I have a bracket asm that is to be welded on a table (table being the background). In the bracket asm tree I won't see the table; however I need the table brought into the bracket drawing for position and installation reference of the bracket.

I've heard a few methods, such as Simplified Rep or Layering control, to achieve this but I want to reduce load time and number of external references. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Create another top level "working" assembly and assemble your bracket asm into it along with the table. Add the working assembly to your drawing and create views where it's needed.

Alternate1: Add the model of the table to your drawing and add the views where it's needed. Place an opaque view of your bracket on top of it. Align the views either by a common coordinate system or via drawing grid coordinates.

Alternate2: Create draft entities of the table either by converting a view of the table to draft entities or by exporting a view of the table to DXF and importing it back in. Group the entities, remove the table model from the drawing, place an opaque view of your bracket on top of it. Lightweight but the table will not update to any changes.

The first method, in my opinion is the best along with simplified reps. No external references but it does require the table and the "working" assembly to be in the drawing. Alternates 1 and 2 have their drawbacks and may not work for some view angles/geometry.

Alternate 3: Insert an overlay from another drawing of the table

Alternate 4: Insert a picture of the table via the "Insert Object" OLE embedding. The problem with this one is I don't know of a way to place a view on top of the picture and I doubt Creo supports GIF/PNG transparency...never tried it though.

Alternate 5: Convert draft entities of your table into a custom drawing symbol

Top Tags