cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

RES: Config.win losing custom menu on drawing side...

DarrinHiebert
1-Newbie

RES: Config.win losing custom menu on drawing side...

Guilherme (and others suggesting it's been fixed):

Well, unfortunately, it IS NOT fixed in M020, M030, or M040. I have had users tell me that all of these versions are doing the same thing.

Now, it's possible that PTC fixed "something", but the problem that I'm experiencing (and it sounds like others are as well ), is not fixed as late as M040...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

…M050 has the same issue.

Jeff <><

I am using m050 and it is fixed here!

But maybe loading a config.win created in previous versions still doesn't work, try creating a new config.win using your current version.

Its possible that there are some specific customizations that config.win can't handle anymore tough...

Warm Regards

Guilherme Rocha - Tech Support Consultant

PLM Solutions do Brasil

“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”

That's interesting that it's fixed for you in M050. Jeff indicated that it was not fixed for him in M050. Did you by chance start over with a new config, or did you convert one from an older revision?

Here's the other thing that caught my eye: "Its possible that there are some specific customizations that config.win can't handle anymore tough..." While that MAY true with an old file moving forward, I DID start completely over with my config.win, and Pro DID allow me to do everything that I was able to do in the past. So, I have to assume that because I could do it, it is still "acceptable" methodology, and the methodology that I used, still has the same effect that it always did.

If you're right about needing to start over to "un-corupt" the file (post M050), I'm going postal on Pro!!! I just went thru that pains taking process (about 12 hours worth, to be exact), and I don't really want to do it again, especially, when I was working under the false pretense (hope) that starting over would fix it!!!

ARGHHHHH!!!!! *@#*$@*$*$#@!

I guess that I have to look on the bright side. You can always do something quicker the second time. 🙂

For clarification purposes, I am using my old config in M050.

Jeff <><

Well, the jury's back.

M060 installed, and it exhibits the same problem, so it's not fixed in M060 either.

IT IS STILL A BUG, AND IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE FIXED. USERS BEWARE!

Also, for the record, I started completely OVER M040. When I started over, I started Pro with NO config.win, and built upon the stock PTC one. This did MAKE my config.win file signifigantly smaller, so I think that it's probably a safe assumption to make that there was some "junk" in my old config.win.

Also, we DO have a Pro/Toolkit application, two in fact. I too, have noticed that the Toolkit apps don't start, go away randomly, and just generally wreak havoc with the menus. Just to test out the theory that it may have something to do with the Toolkit apps, I started Pro WITHOUT any toolkit apps. The menu that I'm having issues with, is GONE without the Toolkit apps.

Humm... I just noticed something that I had never noticed before. If I only have one drawing up, my config.win is fine. If I open up a second drawing, the config.win is hosed. It's almost like the issue is tied to having multiple windows open. So, I save my config.win with multiple drawings open, and restart. At first it appears to be working better, and then as I open and close more drawings, all of the sudden it quits working. So, that theory is now shot out of the window.

RANT ON---

I think that we're going to try and figure out how to submit this thing as a bug, and see how far we get with it. While it is somewhat repeatable, it's not something that you can do without a lot of steps, and you MUST have our config.win. You can say that there's something wrong with my config.win. That's fine, but at the end of the day, I just started completely OVER, and it still has the same problem. Somehow the software is allowing me to build in this issue into my config.win, and that's a bug, folks. Pure and simple. Tell me you can't do something. That's fine. But, don't allow me to do something, which seems like a logical move to make, and then quit working on me randomly later on.

RANT OFF ---

The customizations I use are minimal, so probably I am not getting into the "BUG", I advice you to contact PTC and ask for a WEBEX session which they can remotelly access your computer and gatter more data to find the solution.

Warm Regards

Guilherme Rocha - Tech Support Consultant

PLM Solutions do Brasil

“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”

Darrin,

Are you using a .bat file to load your config options?

I had similar issues when I was setting up our config.win when we moved from WF3 to WF5. I think my problems had more to do with the fact that we moved to Windows 7 than the Pro/E upgrade. I ended up having multiple config.win files that Pro/E was loading and they were screwingeach otherup. I have a.bat file that loads Pro,and I had to update itto delete all the config.win files (things were stored in different locations than what I have on myXP machine)and pull the latest from the network. Noweverything works fine. I also had to change folder permissions on locations that had config options stored in them so that my .bat file could modify/delete/write files in that folder (Win7 nuance). Pro looks in several locations for config.win files and will load multiples if it finds them.

Then again, our config.win file isn't all that complicated. A few custom mapkeys icons and such, so maybe that has something to do with it...

-Roger

In Reply to Darrin Hiebert:

Guilherme (and others suggesting it's been fixed):

Well, unfortunately, it IS NOT fixed in M020, M030, or M040. I have had users tell me that all of these versions are doing the same thing.

Now, it's possible that PTC fixed "something", but the problem that I'm experiencing (and it sounds like others are as well ), is not fixed as late as M040...
Top Tags