cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Working "offline" setting working directory...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

Working "offline" setting working directory...

Lately, I find I am switching back and forth between working in Windchill and working off line. I work off lineby setting the Server Management to "<no server=">". Then I typically will "Select Working Directory" accordingly, something like "D\work\job1\CAD-files". The strange thing is that if I now go to open a file, the popup shows me "C:\Users\Paul\Document"! If I hit "Working Directory" from the list on the left in the popup, it THEN shows me what I wanted, "D\work\job1\CAD-files". Same thing with filing; it defaults to my user directoryNOT my working directory. Is there a way to correct this? Seems like maybe I am not going "off line" correctly?

thanks in advance...

8 REPLIES 8
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:pdkoren)

I do the same. It's frustrating. For some reason "documents" is default.
I think that can be changed? I'd like to know myself.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Some time ago, PTC decided that Proe should work like most Windows programs and default to your “My Documents” folder or whatever folder you opened last. Stupid, frankly, for a program with so many inter-related files that you would need to be in the same folder. (BTW – SW does this too and it drives me batty.)

Thankfully, there’s a config option you can set:

file_open_default_folder working_directory

I first put this in our config.sup for WF2, so I’m guessing that’s when they implemented it.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

That config unfortunately forces it to the working directory even when you're connected to the server.

Since most users want the workspace to be the default when they're connected they have to live with the extra click to go to the working directory when they're not connected.

Mike Foster
ATK

I replied to thsi but my first post got caught up in the new exploder email bug...

Checkout the application startup icon. Typically the 'start in' directory defaults to 'My Documents'. Change this to something useful and you are good to go.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317

The Start-In directory you specify in the startup icon definitely sets the working directory but in the File Open dialog you still have to pick it – The default pick is always the Windows %USERPROFILE% directory.

Mike
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I got an interesting response from someone at PTC regarding this:

In case you care to know, it was a requirement imposed by Microsoft for Windows certification. We tried to argue that it didn't make sense for Pro/E, but to no avail, so we had to make the out-of-the-box install work that way. But at least we could make it easy to opt out!

I regrettably implied that this was due to some thoughtless desire on PTC’s part to be more “windows like”. I should have known that it was a Microsoft requirement.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I wonder what difference it makes if the software is not certified.

I see the tip of an iceberg here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh749939.aspxfor
Certification requirements for Windows desktop apps, but I don't know what MS does to convince companies they should if they don't otherwise meet allthe requirements. For sure PTC is not selling Creo Parametricthrough the MS Store**, so that's not a limitation.

From the site:

"For an app to qualify for Windows 8.1 Desktop App Certification it must meet the following criteria and all the technical requirements listed in this document.

•It must be a standalone app
•It must run on a local Windows 8.1 computer
•It can be a client component of a certified Windows Server app
•It must be code and feature complete
•It must not communicate with Windows Store apps via local mechanisms, including via files and registry keys, except in the supported enterprise scenarios
•It must not jeopardize or compromise the security or functionality of the Windows system
•It must have a unique name and must not be trademarked by others
•All external components must be certified separately or be compliant with the Windows App Certification Kit
•It must have an opt-out option for any bundled apps"

and so on...

Here's the magic words:

"10.4 Your app’s data that is exclusive to a specific user and that is not to be shared with other users of the computer, must be stored in Users\<username>\AppData"

**or -are- they??? I haven't looked. Is Creo Parametric 8.1 compatible?
In Reply to Doug Schaefer:

I got an interesting response from someone at PTC regarding this:

In case you care to know, it was a requirement imposed by Microsoft for Windows certification. We tried to argue that it didn't make sense for Pro/E, but to no avail, so we had to make the out-of-the-box install work that way. But at least we could make it easy to opt out!

x

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Ha

Top Tags