cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

help with best way to check out file

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

help with best way to check out file

To all,

We are using ProI 3.4 with WF4, probably until some time mid 2014. Our models at times, are large and can have family tables with hundreds of instances. So I am looking for what the best selections during checkout would be, to help reduce the number offiles I really need to check out, and still be able to open my assembly.

Here are two example of the selections I normally make and the number of files associated with each:

Example 1:

- locate top level in commonspace, select the file and do a CHECKOUT

- in the checkout window, choose ALL (dependency), Include Generics, AsStored (Members), update if needed and pick my workspace

- 395 files listed for checkout

- when I go to Pro/E to open the assembly, it gets hung and does not open it

Eample 2:

- locate top level in commonspace, select the file and do a CHECKOUT

- in the checkout window, choose ALL (dependency), Include Generics & Include Instances, AsStored (Members), update if needed and pick my workspace

- 6418 files listed for checkout (takes more time as it is 16+ ties the number of files, our server is not local either)

- when I go to Pro/E to open the assembly, it opens

So it seems necessary to include Instances upon checkout, is this correct? Or is there something else that can be selected or changed to only get the fewer files checked out and still be able to open the model.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Dennis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DennisRehmer)

There is something wrong. I can't test this now since we don't use Intralink anymore though.

I had always used Dependency (REQUIRED, not all), Include generics (not instances), LATEST (as opposed to as stored).

You only got the files absolutely necessary but not all the instances or all the external references that would be needed for full regeneration.

I never had problems with being able to open the files with that setup.

The only thing I can think of with yours is the as stored condition may not include the latest generic that might be required (although that doesn't really make sense).

Steve

Stephen,

I am trying this now to see if it helps me. The only thing I did different, is I selected AsStored. We are supposed to work with the latest relesed files in our models, and this is what is supposed to have been stored.

Dennis

Stephen,

When I checked out all the files, by also chosin Instances, the assembly opened within 5 -10 minutes. I went and used your suggestions, and it has been trying for almost 45 minutes and is not open yet.

So thanks for the suggestions, but it seems to not be better than where I was before.

Dennis

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DennisRehmer)

Something has to be wrong. I've used Intralink with seemingly much larger assemblies than you are describing using the Required, latest, and generics (not all instances) options. I just can't think of any suggestions since it's been 2-3 years since we moved to PDMLink. I looked for some of our "process diagrams" but couldn't find any of the old documentation we used. ISO 9000 probably tells us it has to be inaccessible

Do you have any sub-assemblies that you could check-out independently to see if there happens to be one specific assembly that is causing the problem?

I was hoping to have better suggestions.

Good luck

Steve

Top Tags