cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

technical requirements for Creo 2.0

ptc-4970910
1-Newbie

technical requirements for Creo 2.0

Hi,

I am about buying new laptop.

I would like to find out what are technical requirements for Creo 2.0 that I should pay attention to?

Is there any available technical specification what computer should have?

I am thinking about two models

1) Asus N550JK-CN208H which has

Intel Core i7-4700HQ

8GB RAM

GeForce GTX850M 2GB

FullHD

2) Lenovo Y510P

Core i7-4700HQ

RAM 16GB

GeFroce GT750 2GB

FullHD

Cheers,

M.

34 REPLIES 34

The quickest thing to do in this case is for Eric to take his new video card out of his new computer and stick in his old video card, possibly, as I'm not even sure what that old video card is. If he told us, I don't see it at the moment.

But even that, without a benchmark of some sort, he's basically using "butt dyno" (for the car people lol) on his side and describing what he is seeing, which is subjective. UNLESS, there is a huge huge difference, but even then, we have to take his word that there is. And what is a huge difference to one person might not be to the next. Especially when you start waying in cost of products, etc etc.

Back to what I said before, many people keep implying that Creo doesn't even run on a GeForce card which is complelety false. And I thoroughly agree that it would be nice to know what the advantage of the Quadro is on a day to day working basis. I just think there is no straight answer because there is too much belief in one direction. And same thing, a minor performance improvement to one person might be a major performance improvement to another.

Which along those same lines, I see people buying $750+ video cards, but then hooking them to $99 monitors. But whatever, and almost the same with box computers, people buy a Dell with a Quadro? seems crazy to me, but it's common now a days.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:Inoram)

My anecdotal experience is with a shared laptop that had a GeForce card and it was years ago. It would only open 3-4 Proe windows before the Proe window would go completely gray, menus and all. Closing a Proe window or two with the red X in the title bar would restore it.

It was a long time ago and I don't remember what other issues we had with it, but it was not a primary CAD computer. It was used by folks who didn't have a laptop and need one for a meeting off site or for some after hours work.

If you kept to 2-3 windows, it performed adequately, I believe, but I don't think we ever really pushed it hard.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I'm using the Lenovo Z510 Laptop,

also Full HD, i5-4200m cpu, 8GB ram, nVidia Geforce gt740 graphics for a much better price than the Y510p but everything works perfectly. worth to consider in my opinion

Hi,

Thank you very much for all replies.

I am just amazed with numerb of answers.

I get some useful hints that make choice a bit easier.

Thanks for encouraging me to Nvidia Quadro, but unfortunately I am looking for laptop not for workstation.

In this week I am going to buy MSI GE70

Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2,4 GHz

RAM 8 GB DDR 3

17,3" 1920x1080

nVidia Geforce GTX850M 2048 MB

Cheers,

M.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-4970910)

You can get Quadro laptops.

Top Tags