cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

touch screen

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

touch screen

Friday question: does anybody have proe on the laptop/tablet with touchscreen? How do you use it? Does it work?

One of the managers here is about to buy new laptops (Dell) and touchscreen is an option...

Thank you,

Dmitry

4 REPLIES 4
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:Dmi3U)

A couple of users here have Wacom 21" monitors for doing sketching and
renderings in Illustrator, Photoshop, Alias sketch etc. Not touch
screen, but pressure sensitive screens used with a pen like stylus.
They have said that there is no real benefit from them with Pro/E. They
don't even use the stylus with it.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Some days I miss the old 3 button light pen and the tablet that we used
(before the mouse was invented) to interface with CADDS

...and the mainframe that filled it's own room with miles of wire and HUGE
12 inch, 14MB hard drives...

Happy Friday!

Glen R Wisham
MOEC EW Mechanical Engineering
Space and Airborne Systems
Raytheon Company

805.879.3359 (office)
805.879.3017 (fax)
561.3359 (tie line)
-

6380 Hollister Avenue
Goleta CA 93117-3114 USA

I concur. The interface was very customizable, and was consistent with the on screen icons.

I used a subset of that interface on CV's personal designer software on Compaq PC's back in the late 80's.

Great design, and you could always default to the keyboard to use the 'verb-noun-adjective' command syntax.

Maybe that's the trick, use a space mouse with the left hand for pan-zoom-rotate, etc... and a 12x12 tablet with digitizing and 'mapkeys' on the right hand for all mouse movements and commands. Have a 3-4 line status 'ribbon' at the top or bottom of the screen to keep track of required command inputs. Get rid of the on-screen menus entirely.

Everything old is new again....

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

One feature I still miss is being able to in-stream selection filters - I could get just a tcyl on layer 25 that was entirely inside a pick-window. Other systems spent so much interface on being able to manage the selection list, instead of just getting it right in the first place. With the tablet, those filters, and all commands, were in fixed locations so that muscle memory would get it right, instead of having the eye-hand coordination of mouse-to-cursor control that provides poor feed back and long travel distances.

It seems like it would be so easy to use a web-cam to watch a printed menu and wait for the mouse click - put a small lamp on the camera and a retro-reflective dot on the mouse for easy tracking - and voila, cheap menu tablet.

Dave S.

Top Tags