cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can an administrator list all permissions for another user?

rwiseman
1-Newbie

Can an administrator list all permissions for another user?

It's simple to find out what permissions a user has on a particular entity, but is it possible to go the other way?  Instead of mapping an entity to users' and groups' permissions regarding that object, can I (the administrator) retrieve a list of all permissions (including lack of permission) for a particular user?

One purpose of this might be in an audit, to ensure that permissions have been configured correctly and that nothing has been overlooked.  (Perhaps I forgot to remove some permission on an entity that's outside the scope of what I'm testing.  Silly, certainly, but not out of the realms of possibility!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cbuse
12-Amethyst
(To:rwiseman)

Hi Richard,

In CollectionFunctions Resource, you can find the service ExportUserPermissions which exports all permissions to an xml file in a Thingworx repository.

Search for the name of the user in the xml file and you will see his permissions.

Among the input parameters of the service are: includeCollectionPermissions, includeDependents, includeEntityPermissions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cbuse
12-Amethyst

Hi Richard,

In CollectionFunctions Resource, you can find the service ExportUserPermissions which exports all permissions to an xml file in a Thingworx repository.

Search for the name of the user in the xml file and you will see his permissions.

Among the input parameters of the service are: includeCollectionPermissions, includeDependents, includeEntityPermissions.

rwiseman
1-Newbie
(To:cbuse)

Thanks Cristina, that's really useful.  I was hoping it would contain all the user's permissions, but perhaps I unintentionally constrained my question too much!  I did keep saying entities, I know, but I suppose I was assuming that all permissions would be related to one entity or other.  It appears that the permission to export entities is stored elsewhere: I don't suppose you know where that is, do you?

cbuse
12-Amethyst

The permission to export entities is stored in the permissions.xml file as well. Look for "ExportImportSubsystem" in the xml.

In the Composer, you can restrict a user's permission to export entities in ExportImportSubsystem subsystem.

Top Tags