cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Can we install ThingWorx on one server and connect it to the existing PostgreSQL server?

SV_10197221
8-Gravel

Can we install ThingWorx on one server and connect it to the existing PostgreSQL server?

Hi,

Let say we have this previous configuration,

Thingworx Platform server (Server 1)  -----connected----->  PostgressSQL( Server 2)

Now I want to install thingworx Platform on new server say server 3, migrate everything from server 1 platform to this new Platform  and connect it with existing postgress server on server 2. Like the configuration shown below,

New Thingworx Platform server (Server 3) ------connected----> PostgressSQL( Server 2)

Is this possible. If yes, can someone suggest an optimized steps.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:SV_10197221)

Hi @SV_10197221.

You can achieve both connections easily in ThingWorx. 

For either connection, create a new Thing using "Database" as the Base Thing Template.  Then select the Configuration tab to configure the connection parameters.   I'm assuming you're running a recent version of ThingWorx. 

Here's a link to the Help Center that should help to answer some of your questions.  In addition, here's a link to a training guide from ThingWorx IoT Tips located in the community. 

And to answer your question, you can't have 2 db's with the same name on the same database instance.  ThingWorx doesn't require the persistance provider or external databases to be called "thingworx".  The person creating the database and installing the product would have made the decision around the database name.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SV_10197221 

To answer your question appropriately, we need additional information.

PostgreSQL can host multiple databases.  Is your question around installation of a new ThingWorx instance connecting to a new db on the existing PostgreSQL server, or are you asking if the new ThingWorx instance can connect to the original ThingWorx database?  The answer to both is yes, but depending on the specifics, the process may vary. 

The procedure will also vary depending on whether you are installing the same version of ThingWorx on the new server as that running in the original implementation.  What version of ThingWorx are you currently running and what version of ThingWorx are you planning to install on the new server?

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi Sharon,

'Is your question around installation of a new ThingWorx instance connecting to a new db on the existing PostgreSQL server, or are you asking if the new ThingWorx instance can connect to the original ThingWorx database?"

• I want to connect the new ThingWorx instance to the original ThingWorx database.
  • Am also considering  to connect the new ThingWorx instance to a new db on the existing PostgreSQL server. But how will that work. Because thingworx create its own database with name 'thingworx' during installation, and if there is already a db by that name wont there be a conflict. 

Would be great if you can help me understand both these points and share a systematic procedures to do the respective setup.

And the versions

Existing                       : Thingworx Platform server 8.4.15 (Server 1)  -----connection----->  PostgressSQL 10.13 ( Server 2)

Want to implement : New Thingworx Platform server 8.5.18(Server 3) ------connection----> PostgressSQL 10.13 ( Server 2)

Thanks,

Sri

Sorry, correction.

The PostgreSQL version is 10.13

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SV_10197221.

You can achieve both connections easily in ThingWorx. 

For either connection, create a new Thing using "Database" as the Base Thing Template.  Then select the Configuration tab to configure the connection parameters.   I'm assuming you're running a recent version of ThingWorx. 

Here's a link to the Help Center that should help to answer some of your questions.  In addition, here's a link to a training guide from ThingWorx IoT Tips located in the community. 

And to answer your question, you can't have 2 db's with the same name on the same database instance.  ThingWorx doesn't require the persistance provider or external databases to be called "thingworx".  The person creating the database and installing the product would have made the decision around the database name.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags