cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

CollectionWidget performance issues

Chrischhan
12-Amethyst

CollectionWidget performance issues

Hi,

i use the collection widget to display informations on equipments (Assets) in mashups as a "Grid" like.

i used the collection over the repeater widget because of the Data flow from single mashups back to the main mashup (and visual improvements).

The source service collect all data and bind them to the single Mashups. The single Mashups self have no logic or service calls, only Mashup<-->widget bindings. But the initial loading times are incredible (for only ~20 Assets, we plan more then 300) on Desktop (we have loading times for more than 10s). So you can imagine the loading times on a portable device like Tablets or not so powerfull devices such as a Raspberry.

The source service itself is very fast (around 50-250 ms with Postman, or in Composer).

i checked the performance with Chrome developer tools and found out that the rendering of the Collection Widget takes about 60% of the complete loading time. I attached two images from the Performance log analysis. Note in the first picture that the single mashups are not even displayed after that 10.4s after around 15-20s the single mashups will shown. But as you can see in the secons picture there is the calculation of the layout which needs a HUGE amount of power.

So is there a way of improving performance of the collection widget? Or is there a way to use the Repeater with a Data / Signal flow from single mashups to the outside Mashup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tudor
12-Amethyst
(To:Chrischhan)

Thank you for confirming an upgrade of the platform addressed the performance issue.

The long term plan is to replace the legacy repeater with the Collection Widget.  R&D is continuing to invest significant effort to ensure the Collection Widget scales for all types of scenarios.  There is no immediate plan to remove the repeater widget, but we hope to learn more over the next couple of releases.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tudor
12-Amethyst

There is a known performance issue with Collection Widgets (tracked by our R&D team as TW-42700) and significant additional performance testing was performed in more recent versions of ThingWorx.  Would you be able to upgrade a test system to 8.3.5 from your version 8.3.1 to confirm the performance.

If the issue persists, in FireFox (and likely Chrome) you can record the performance and upload the recording here so we can look at the behavior a bit closer.

Chrischhan
12-Amethyst
(To:Tudor)

I tested the issue with the 8.3.4 since the performance issue is fixed there (found in the release notes with the issue id) and no 8.3.5 is available.

The performance is significant better. Loading times are around 2s less than in my initial post and visual performance is much better.

Should the collection widget fully replace the repeater in future releases since the repeater is legacy with 8.4? Or are there plans to use/develop a widget wich can display any amount of static mashups with purly css grid layout for maximum performance?

Tudor
12-Amethyst

Thank you for confirming an upgrade of the platform addressed the performance issue.

The long term plan is to replace the legacy repeater with the Collection Widget.  R&D is continuing to invest significant effort to ensure the Collection Widget scales for all types of scenarios.  There is no immediate plan to remove the repeater widget, but we hope to learn more over the next couple of releases.

Leigh
Community Manager

Hi @Chrischhan,

If the response provided by @Tudor answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.  

Regards, Leigh

Top Tags