SOLVED

Re: Connect Thingworx and PLC

You can try adjusting the timeout value in config.lua

You can do so in the section

scripts.modbus_handler = {

file = "modbus_handler.lua" ,

response_timeout = 10000,

}

Not that the number is in milliseconds.  The default is 5000.

You can also debug your connection by talking directly to the modbus_handler script itself.  On the machine that your EMS is running, point a browser with your favorite REST debugging tool, like Postman, to http://127.0.0.1:<port>/scripts/modbus_handler/holding_register/<slave_id>/<register>

where port is the port your Lua Script resource is listening on - defaults to 8001, slave_id would be 1, and holding_holding register would be 4001 in your case.

For writing you should be should be doing a PUT to /holding_register/<slave_id>/<register>

Take a look at the documentation in /etc/thingworx/scripts/modbus_handler.lua for some more details on how to interact directly with that script.

Hi John, how exactly work this service.getAllProperties in modbusExample.lua? I can't see this service in remote thing for binding (how I can call it?). Also I having issue to read coils and discrete inputs - as bit values and using workaround with Uint16 word value - It's working, but it's not right. Could you please advice? Thanks.

Peter - In looking at the modbusExample.lua file that you posted (I assume this is the one you are referring to), I don't see a service definition in that template.  That is why you don't see it when you browse from Composer.  If I remember right read_multiple_registers returns a string with a comma separated list of formatted values.  You can double check this by directly POSTing to the modbus_handler script to see what comes back.

A coil property definition should look like the following:

properties.CoilTest1 = {key="coil/<slave_id>/<coil_number>", handler="modbus_handler", basetype="BOOLEAN"}

One thing to be careful of is offset in modbus addressing.  Depending on your modbus slave the first coil might be coil #1 at address 0 which is typical or they might call it by its address (i.e. coil 1 is at address 1 and coil 0 is at address 0).

Hi,

I also facing problem on connecting IDEC to ThingWorx.

below is the result after I run ./luascriptresources

[ERROR] 2016-04-09 11:34:20,113 luaScriptProxy::execute: [1094014096] Error executing script modbus_handler, Error = Error: ...t/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/lua/modbus.lua:104: module 'socket' not found:

no field package.preload['socket']

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/lua/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/lua/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/lua/socket.lua'

no file './socket.lua'

no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/socket.lua'

no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/socket/init.lua'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/socket.lua'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/socket/init.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/clibs/socket.so'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/clibs/socket.so'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/clibs/socket.so'

no file './socket.so'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/socket.so'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'

[ERROR] 2016-04-09 11:34:20,118 luaScriptProxy::app_unlock: [1094014096] Attempt to unlock app_mutex while not holding it.L= 0x1141f0

hope someone can help.

thanks in advance

Eric, what version of the MicroServer are you using? Do you have the Modbus package with it as well?

Highlighted

Hi Eric, looks like you using latest 5.1 version - you need Modbus complete Modbus package - is missing - If you would like to download my package and search or socket.lua (and other files if needed) and add them to your microserver / or reuse my package with your config files (config.lua and config.json).

Have in mind - I'm using version 5.3.1.1113 with some changes to get it work

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. Sorry that i am very new to Thingworx.

How to check the version? The modbus package is that something like mobusscript.lua?

Fyi, i had actually downloaded the EMS to Syslink Systech SL-3000.

Here's a link to a quick start Modbus blog that has downloads to the package as well.

Thanks everyone.

Question to Peter, may I know where to get the complete Modbus package?

Can I use this package?

Content