cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Connecting multiple IndustrialGateways to a Thing

jponcharal
5-Regular Member

Connecting multiple IndustrialGateways to a Thing

Hi, I have an application where a Thing must be connected to different Remote industrial sources (IndustrialGateways). What is the best practive to do so ? When using remote thing template, I can only select a single object. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Hello jponcharal,

Thank you for reaching out on the ThingWorx Developers Community.

I would recommend you take a look at the following article which provides a good overview of the connection between ThingWorx Platform and KEPServerEX/ThingWorx Industrial Connectivity:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS279234

In order to connect to multiple industrial sources (Kep/TWX Industrial Connectivity) you will need an individual gateway for each connection. To facilitate this you simply need to create a single Thing entity that implements the IndustrailGateway Thing Template. You can name the IndustrialGateway Things according to the industrial server which will be connecting to them.

With respect to connecting a single Industrial Remote Thing to multiple IndustrialGateway Things this is not possible. The IndustrailThingShape's IndustrialThing property which sets the connection is a single valued property that accepts one Entity reference to the backing IndustrialGateway Thing.

Could you provide further details on your use case for needing a single Remote Thing connected to multiple IndustrialGateway Things at the same time?

Regards,

Tyler Misner

ThingWorx Technical Support Engineer

Hi @jponcharal ,

You can connect multiple industrial gateway with multiple things and local bind the properties to single thing. I am not sure this will meet your requirements. 

If it doesn't solve, please elaborate your requirement.

With regards

Yedukrishnan

jponcharal
5-Regular Member
(To:Yedukrishnan)

Thanks for your answer. I will proceed this way.

Top Tags