cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Decrypt password in Service

AndreaSteyn
11-Garnet

Decrypt password in Service

Hi guys,

I have a password as a property on a thing.  I however need the password to run a service.

Where or how do I generate the key required to decrypt the password with the decrypt service in the EncryptionServices resource?

var result = Resources["EncryptionServices"].DecryptWithKey({

data: "" /* STRING */,
key: "" /* STRING */
});

5 REPLIES 5
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:AndreaSteyn)

Hi @posipova ,

Thank you for the response.  

I read through the documentation but it appears that is for licence encrypting.  I want to use a user password in a service.  I want to figure out if there is a way to safely decrypt it as an administrator user to be able to use the password in a service.

The decrypt service needs a key which I am not sure how to generate.  Can you perhaps give any suggestions?

Hello @AndreaSteyn,

When you say "I want to use a user password in a service" you mean you want to use the password of a selected User entity? I'm not sure ThingWorx even stores user passwords, so there's nothing to decrypt, only hashes.

/ Constantine

To clarify I want to create a password property that is not visible to all users for security.

I then need to use this password in a service to run a export service. So I therefore need to decrypt the password to be able to use it in the service.

I hope this provides more clarification.

use encrpt/decrypt with custom key.

use 128 bit key

var params1 = {
data: passwd_input /* STRING */,
key: "FEDCBA98765432100123456789ABCDEF" /* STRING */
};

// result: STRING
var result1 = Resources["EncryptionServices"].EncryptWithCustomKey(params1);

var params2 = {
encryptedData: result1 /* STRING */,
key: "FEDCBA98765432100123456789ABCDEF" /* STRING */
};