cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

DotNet SDK - Best way to implement queue and buffering to update properties

Shivaji
9-Granite

DotNet SDK - Best way to implement queue and buffering to update properties

We have various properties that are updating very frequently. What will be the best way to implement this using the .Net SDK?

Do we need to create separate threads to update properties?

Current code looks like this, which is the default implementation, however for properties that are updating very frequently, what would be the best way?

targetThing.setProperty(propertyName, value);

targetThing.updateSubscribedProperties(15000);

6 REPLIES 6
Shivaji
9-Granite
(To:Shivaji)

How to achieve maximum throughput, using both these?

Do I need to create separate threads for both SetProperty and UpdateSubscribedProperties ?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Shivaji.

When you say the properties are updating very frequently, how often is that?  What version of the DotNet SDK are you using?

Regards.

--Sharon

We have several devices that have more than 300 properties which are updating every second. 

My bad, the devices have more than 500 properties which are updating every second. 

Using following version of .net SDK.

MED-61061-CD-055_M050_Dotnet-SDK-5-7-6-3407-win-fips

Also I believe the setProperty adds properties in a queue and the updateSubscribedProperties pushes them to platform. 

What is the limit of this queue? Is it possible we can set the limit of this queue?

Will it work fine in our case of more than 500 properties per device for several devices?

I heard PTC is going to implement property sets for updating list of properties, but that is on platform side. Will there by any change in the sdk for this?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Shivaji.

You mentioned 500 property updates per second.  Is this the sum of updates across all devices or the number of updates per device?  How many devices?

Depending on your answer, it may be necessary to review your sizing, database, etc. for determining the best efficiency.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Shivaji.

We haven't heard back from you so just wondering if you found the answer to your question.  If so, please post it here for the benefit of others on the community with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags