cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Error in starting thingworx (Docker version)

mtyago
11-Garnet

Error in starting thingworx (Docker version)

I am running thingworx 8.1, docker version and it was running fine.

On next PC restart , after starting the TW , I get no errors on startup screen as in attached screenshot.

However, the url to TW composer gives me '500 Unexpected error'.

This has happened a number of times, and my usual solution was to reinstall TW. 

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:mtyago)

Hello,

Are you getting the same IP address when Docker restarts? What about the IP address for the database? And is that an external (to Docker) DB?

Thanks,

-- Craig A.

mtyago
11-Garnet
(To:CRArko)

Hi Craig,

Are you getting the same IP address when Docker restarts? 

- Yes, I got allocated the same IP address as it was in the previous instance(to be more specific, I always got 192.168.99.100, as mentioned in start screen). Also, I was able to see the tomcat main screen, but not the TW app)

What about the IP address for the database? And is that an external (to Docker) DB?

- I have not configured external DB, hence I assume it is internal to docker

Thanks

BM1
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:mtyago)

Did you ever solve this problem?

I loaded up the trial license this morning and everytime I start Thingworx I get unexpected error 500.

Thanks

tschmitz
13-Aquamarine
(To:BM1)

Hi @BM1,

We can go into the Docker container to try and isolate the root cause of your 500 error.  To start, run the following in your shell:

Docker exec -ti -u root twxafoundation bash

Once you're inside the command line, take a look at your ApplicationLog.log with the following command:

cat /ThingworxStorage/Logs/ApplicationLog.log

If there is nothing very exciting in there (license error, Cannot connect to DB, etc), then take a look at the Tomcat log to see if there are any signs of trouble:

cd /opt/tomcat/logs

Find the latest catalina log

cat catalina<latestdate>.log

Unfortunately Docker comes very barebones, so VI/Nano won't work.  If it seems like the error is happening further back in the logs than what you can currently view, you can copy it out of the container and into the main workstation.  Below is an example on a windows machine:

docker cp twxfoundation:/ThingworxStorage/logs/ApplicationLog.log c:\logs

This copies the ApplicationLog.log over to my c:\logs directory, which can then be viewed in windows.  The same concept would apply for copying over the catalina.log.

Let us know if you find anything interesting.

Regards,

Tony

Top Tags