cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How to debug javascript service with Rhino Javascript Debugger

seanccc
17-Peridot

How to debug javascript service with Rhino Javascript Debugger

Hi, 

I have gone through Rhino Javascript Debugger    , but really don't have idea how to  use it to debug the ThingWorx's javascript service.   

Could  someone share some experience on it ?   Thanks

Regards,

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@seanccc 

I confirm that here is not out of the box debugger for ThingWorx JavaScript services, but you can use other debugging techniques such as loggers, ...

Regards.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:seanccc)

Hi @seanccc.

This article may be helpful.

Regards.

--Sharon

seanccc
17-Peridot
(To:slangley)

@slangley  Sharon, 

The article you provided point to the same page in my question.   It's clear how debug Rhino JavaScript,  but I have no idea how to debug ThingWorx JavaScript service. 

Regards,

Sean

Hi @seanccc 

You cannot debug a ThingWorx service from the Rhino debugger. You can just use it just to test some native JS snippet in a Rhino engine context.

Regards.

seanccc
17-Peridot
(To:smainente)

@smainente ,

Does it means there is NO way and NOT possible  to debug ThingWorx JavaScript service ? 

Regards,

Sean

@seanccc 

I confirm that here is not out of the box debugger for ThingWorx JavaScript services, but you can use other debugging techniques such as loggers, ...

Regards.

seanccc
17-Peridot

@smainente ,

loggers are not efficient if there're more than 10 of thousands of code lines and you just take over the codes from others,  debug is one of the best way to understand the code beside troubleshooting .  

so, I'm clear now here is not out of the box debugger,  but do you think it's feasible to  develop such a customized tool ?  or it's even not feasible because , for example : we must have the source code of ThingWorx foundation to develop such a tool ?   

If it's feasible , do you have some rough ideas to guide me to create such a debug tool ? 

Regards,

Sean

@seanccc ,

Building a Script Service debugger can be a very tedious task (especially without access to the ThingWorx sources).

Have you considered using the Extension Java SDK ? This is what we use internally to implement complex apps such as Navigate and Manufacturing. You can use your favorite Java IDE to develop and (remote)debug your extension / app. There is an Eclipse Plugin to assist you with the Extension SDK to create projects, entities, and services...

Regards.

seanccc
17-Peridot

@smainente ,

We also use the  JAVA SDK to develop some functions , mainly for the data connection/integration.   It's easy to debug but lost  the advantages of rapid development and rapid deployment without restart tomcat.   

Regards,

Sean

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @seanccc.

The article we provided contained more details around troubleshooting and debugging in regard to ThingWorx.  There are also some additional references at the bottom of that article.  

We recommend reviewing the article in detail for determining the process you would need for troubleshooting your issue.  There is no single answer that would cover the many scenarios that would be encountered during development.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags