cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How to get data of the machine to Thingworx/Composer?

dgurijala
1-Newbie

How to get data of the machine to Thingworx/Composer?

Hi,

I Installed Thingworx and launched it successfully in a machine.

Now I want to create an agent get the data to the Thingworx/Composer of the machine.

Can I get some procedure to get the data to the Thingworx/Composer.

And what are the files required  to get the data?

Thanks,

D S Gurijala.

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

Please check out the tutorials section of the following page:

https://developer.thingworx.com/dashboard

Note: I recommend going through all the 3 steps in the beginning of that page in order to familiarize with the platform concepts.

For example, the core concepts, which is the first step, explains the available ways to send data to the platform (hint: there is more than one).

There is also a tutorial section for specific tasks that you want to do.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Hi Vladimir,

Can you tell me which tutorial I need to follow to create an agent and to get the data?

Hi Devendrah,

Do you require only sending data to the platform or do you want to send values back to the device?

Have you decided for sure that you want to write an agent? I am asking this because there are alternatives like REST-api or the Edge Microserver.

What SDK did you decide to use?

BR,

Vladimir

Vladimir do got an idea on Axeda platform?

Actually we are using Axeda platform to create an agent and get the data to enterprise.

Now PTC suggested us to try  Thingworx platform for creating an agent and get the data to the agent.

So we are trying to create an agent in Thingworx and get the data of the machine to that agent.

For this we are trying Trail version of ThingWorx.

If possible we can have an WebEx call with Thingworx support. So that we can tell you in detail what exactly we are trying in ThingWorx.

It helps us a lot if have an call with Thingworx support.

Thanks,

D S Gurijala.

Hi Vladimir,

I have a quick question.

For creating an agent and to get the data do I need the following to be installed?

1) Thingworx Web-Socket based Edge Micro Server

2) Any one of the Thingworx Edge SDK

3) Thingworx core

Thanks,

D S Gurijala.

Hi Devendrah,

Not familiar with the Axeda platform - pure ThingWorx, but my questions still remain valid.

There are many ways to get the data in the platform, more then in Axeda if I remember correctly, and I wanted to understand if you use the correct piece of our platform to build in the fastest way your usecase.

For example, it is easy to say to use the Java SDK tutorial, but is that the fastest way to do it? Maybe not, as typically REST calls are the simplest thing to build with curl.

If you look at the core concepts you will see the ways to send data to the platform. The following is a copy paste from the core concepts:

"There are three main options for connecting the edge to the platform.One is a dynamic REST API to make http(s) requests to the server. Two othersprovide true edge applications: the Edge MicroServer, and the SDKs. Each has its distinctadvantages and disadvantages. Additionally, Extensions can be utilized to enable you to expose a third party system, sensor, device cloud, or protocol, as a ThingWorx Thing."

All in all, I kindly suggest to walk through those tutorials, as the ThingWorx platform is more abstract than Axeda and has more flexibility on the way of doing things.

The only thing that you really need is number 3. ThingWorx server. As explained before in this message, number 1 and 2 are not necessary if you use REST.

BR,

Vladimir

Top Tags