cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to make an extension editable as a whole

SrijithKrish
12-Amethyst

How to make an extension editable as a whole

Hi,

I would like to know how can I make an extension editable completely not by making each XML entity editable.

Thank You in Advance

Srijith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was able to delete those extensions by just going to the Browse -> All and filtered for the project and selected all the entities and deleted them, which deleted all the entities which were referred entities within the project from outside the project. 

This solved my issue and I was able to make the extension editable by deleted the all the existing extensions and then taking all the XML entities, packing them into a single zip file and importing using source control entities.

Thank You All !!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@SrijithKrish ,

I am not sure I understand your goal. What are you trying to accomplish? The elements of an Extension are read only because it is required to allow an update to a new version of the extension?

Peter

Hi @PEHOWE 

The requirement is actually that we are having extensions in our development environment, which were not required to be in an editable format. But now we have requirements where we need these extensions to be editable to make our changes, as they will not be updated anymore as an extension in that env. Among these extensions, few were able to be deleted and imported as zip files containing entities in XML format (Import from SourceControlEntities). But there were one or two extensions that were not being deleted as they are giving the following error : 

'Unable to execute service DeleteExtensionPackage on PlatformSubsystem: Extension contains a Project that has references to Entities outside of this extension. Please remove all Entities from <projectName> that are not from this extension.'

Even though I had removed all the visible dependencies, this error was thrown. Due to which at least making the extension editable as a whole would let us work on making our changes after importing it.

Note: Extension contain xml entities

Regards,

Srijith

PTC does not recommend or support manual modification of XML files. You can edit your extension aspects on some pieces prior to packaging the extension, however, generally the extensions are made non-editable due to intellectual property protection.

Thank you @posipova 

So is there a solution to my real problem? How will I find the dependencies that are not clearly visible? How will I delete the existing extension?

The error is mentioning there is something in the project referring outside and the extension contains many entities, how can I find the issue and delete the extension?

You would need to tag the entities or have them be part of a project -- note starting 9.0 a default project is required to be set for any entity.

I was able to delete those extensions by just going to the Browse -> All and filtered for the project and selected all the entities and deleted them, which deleted all the entities which were referred entities within the project from outside the project. 

This solved my issue and I was able to make the extension editable by deleted the all the existing extensions and then taking all the XML entities, packing them into a single zip file and importing using source control entities.

Thank You All !!

Top Tags