cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

IoT platforms?

JackJohn77
4-Participant

IoT platforms?

Do you use an IoT platform? I’m looking into them for (mainly) Bluetooth services - connected home but also more industrial (mesh lighting, asset tracking) uses, and I don’t really know where to start. Any advice or recommendations welcome! For the IoT developers here, what are your favorite platforms/features in platforms you like or use the most? Do you prefer cloud provided IoT services or hosting your own (such as an open source platform)? Been getting into the IoT game myself and were curious on other's preferences/uses.

1 REPLY 1

Hi,

My first comment is that this is a topic dedicated to the ThingWorx platform, so your question is not asked in the correct place.

Even if you would ask it in something like stackoverflow, I believe you will find it also to be too broad to elicit an effective answer. In order to get an answer that helps you, you need to present what you want to do much clearer and concise. 

From my perspective, I find it hard to see an IoT usecase that can not be done with ThingWorx.

Besides it's nice IoT capabilities, you can integrate with third party service providers like Azure in order to obtain the capabilities you need in any application. Generally speaking I also see the trend is to do everything via the cloud (see Nest, Tesla), and let go of local interfaces like Bluetooth. But again, maybe your usecase really needs local control and connectivity, so you will need to invest in using third party libraries that do tackle this protocols outside of ThingWorx. Even in this case, Kepware is a great solution, that can send lots of specific protocols directly to ThingWorx, running on premise. 

My advice is to invest more time in defining clearly an usecase you want to work on and its associated value, and then choose the right technological solution for that. 

Top Tags