cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Issue While Following "Java SDK Tutorial"

SteveWorx
6-Contributor

Issue While Following "Java SDK Tutorial"

Link to Tutorial: https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/guides/thingworx-java-sdk-tutorial

Where the issue starts: https://developer.thingworx.com/resources/guides/thingworx-java-sdk-tutorial/running-tutorial-sample-applications

So, I've been trying to work over this tutorial in order to learn to use the Java SDK, and I noticed at the point linked above the tutorial begins referring to parts of the sample Java SDK download that do not exist.

I found the Java SDK download at the location linked in the Marketplace (towards the beginning of the tutorial) along with some previous versions, but I cannot seem to find the packages/files referenced in the tutorial.

Unfortunately I'm stuck right now. Can someone assist? If there's a link to the code samples referenced in the tutorial still available somewhere, that would do nicely.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We have updated the guide. You should now be able to see the extra SDK samples covered. Here is also a copy for easy access.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mnarang
17-Peridot
(To:SteveWorx)

You can use samples to run in eclipse by putting your thingworx app key and appropriate thing name in client and run it and connect to Thingworx .

Sample you can find in - C:\Users\mnarang\Downloads\221-Java-SDK-6-0-4-595.zip\samples\src\com\thingworx\sdk\steam .There are two files one is thing and one is client to connect to Thingworx .You can make changes of app key and other in client and try running it .

SteveWorx
6-Contributor
(To:mnarang)

So, that is exactly what I did, however, the contents of the folders are different than the ones described in the tutorial. Hence my confusion.

In the link denoted where my issues begin in the tutorial, the tutorial asks for an instance of ExampleClient, which does not exist in the packages that come with the Java SDK download.

I have attached an image of what is available in all the Java SDK downloads currently available (I have also gone though all the available previous versions trying to find the code mentioned in the tutorial).

It seems like the entirety of the Java SDK download example code contents have changed since this tutorial was written, or at the least the names of the classes have changed significantly enough to confuse me.

SteveWorx
6-Contributor

Unfortunately, I still haven't found a decent resolution to this...

It seems like the Java SDK tutorials need to be reworked or the older downloads need to be available.

drieder
15-Moonstone

Have you tried to follow the java SDK setup Guide? I had similar issues and this one helped me. This and a look in the installation guide provided in the downloaded SDK Package

We have updated the guide. You should now be able to see the extra SDK samples covered. Here is also a copy for easy access.

Thank you! I appreciate your help!

Just updated the code in the zip to fit the latest SDK changes.

Top Tags