cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Logging with the .NET sdk?

jbennett1
1-Newbie

Logging with the .NET sdk?

I'm trying to figure out how to log using the .NET SDK so far the only decent reference I came across is this link below:

.NET SDK Logging Configuration

However when I add this information to the App.config file (part of the file in the link above) I get several different exceptions. If I remove these then it'll compile but then there is no Log file/directory created. (If it is I can't find it anywhere)

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.TwApiWrapper" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.ConnectedThingClient" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.things.VirtualThing" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

Hope someone can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I've managed to figure out the correct App.Configuration code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<system.diagnostics>

<sources>

<source name="com.thingworx.common.utils.JSONUtilities" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.TwApiWrapper" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.BaseClient" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.ConnectedThingClient" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.things.contentloader.ContentLoaderVirtualThing" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.things.filetransfer.FileTransferVirtualThing" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.things.VirtualThing" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.metadata.annotations.MetadataAnnotationParser" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

</sources>

<switches>

<add name="SourceSwitch" value="Verbose" />

</switches>

<sharedListeners>

<add name="file" type="com.thingworx.common.logging.FixedFieldTraceListener, thingworx-dotnet-common, Version=5.6.1.1100, Culture=neutral"/>

</sharedListeners>

<trace autoflush="true" indentsize="4" />

</system.diagnostics>

</configuration>

Not sure why it didn't like the last line PublicKeyToken=null" initializeData="false" ​but all is working now.

Hopefully this is useful to someone else.

John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hello,

What are the exceptions that you are seeing when you add the configuration given in that Community post?

Thanks!

Tori

Hi Tori,

Hope all is well!, this is first point it breaks!

h1.PNG

Kind regards

John

Hi John, if you cannot connect the .NET SDK to the ThingWorx platform you can disable encryption as explained on the .NET SDK Developers Guide (page 20).

client.DisableEncryption(); // replace this line from .NET Dev Guide with one of the below lines.

BaseClient.disableEncryption(); // OR

ConnectedThingClient.disableEncryption();

Let me know if this helps.

Heya, unfortunately these made no difference, got the same error.

John

John, I would first revert the "App.config" file to it's initial state or to the one before the logging configuration (maybe also remove thingworx-dotnet-common.dll from the project) to be able to build my project without errors.

Then if you cannot connect to the ThingWorx platform I would use the "BaseClient.disableEncryption();" function.

As an alternative you can start with the examples provided in the the .NET SDK Developers Guide and integrate them into you project.

Heya, Sorry maybe we are at crossed wires, I can connect to TW fine with only half of the above App.config file which is fine but if I use the full version (which I assume is what I needed for logging to work) then I get that error.

John

mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:jbennett1)

John,

If you use the entire app.config file provided in the example you linked in your original post do you still see the same errors?

Meghan

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I've managed to figure out the correct App.Configuration code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<system.diagnostics>

<sources>

<source name="com.thingworx.common.utils.JSONUtilities" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.BaseClient" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.things.contentloader.ContentLoaderVirtualThing" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.communications.client.things.filetransfer.FileTransferVirtualThing" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

<source name="com.thingworx.metadata.annotations.MetadataAnnotationParser" switchName="SourceSwitch" switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch" >

<listeners>

<add name="file" />

</listeners>

</source>

</sources>

<switches>

<add name="SourceSwitch" value="Verbose" />

</switches>

<sharedListeners>

<add name="file" type="com.thingworx.common.logging.FixedFieldTraceListener, thingworx-dotnet-common, Version=5.6.1.1100, Culture=neutral"/>

</sharedListeners>

<trace autoflush="true" indentsize="4" />

</system.diagnostics>

</configuration>

Not sure why it didn't like the last line PublicKeyToken=null" initializeData="false" ​but all is working now.

Hopefully this is useful to someone else.

John

Top Tags