cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Logout timer

AP_9587236
17-Peridot

Logout timer

If the user stopped using the thingworx pages and forget to logout means, in 5 mins the organisation page should get logged out automatically. How to do this?? 

(I have observed one problem that after login if the user is not using the thingworx pages for long time & refreshing the thingworx page after that means, the current mashup is not getting the inputs from previous pages(session variables loosing its datas). So at what particular time if we refreshing the page the session variables wont have data!! At that time we can trigger for automatic logout right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:AP_9587236)

You can use 0, or any of the other methods (as long as you make a platform call before the session times out)

It probably doesn't have to be said, but only use this type of method for displays that are like general displays, not specific user operation screens.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

The session will automatically time out after being idle for a certain time, I believe you can set that in the User Management Subsystem. The screen though will still show the mashup.

You could potentially do a timer and check activity and call an actual 'terminate session' and redirect or the logout function.

@PaiChung 
In the User Management Subsystem, I can see only Performance Metrics & Session Shapes. How I can set the time out for session variables here?

Can you please show me what are the options it have ?
Is there a "Never" option?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Not sure if you are looking in the right place, but in User Management Subsystem, there is the Configuration Tab and it has 'Idle Session Timeout'

There is no 'never' option, but you could set it to a very long time.

You can also 'fake' activity from the mashup, using a timer and making that do a call back to the platform to prevent idle session timeout.

1. Should i keep "Idle Session Timeout (min)" to "0" for never option?

2. If i set to never option, the session variables wont lose datas right. It will stay  when the screen is idle for days?

3. If i have to use the timer for never option, what time i can set to the timer to call back to the platform??  Tell me the approximate time and why?

4. Imagine the timeout is 30 mins, but i used auto refresh for my mashup to trigger refrtesh for every 5 mins. what will happen now? In this scenario also session variable loose datas after 30 mins?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

You can use 0, or any of the other methods (as long as you make a platform call before the session times out)

It probably doesn't have to be said, but only use this type of method for displays that are like general displays, not specific user operation screens.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:PaiChung)

It seems that perhaps in a more recent TWX version 0 doesn't work anymore?

See: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs339473 

So 'Never' may not be possible anymore, you could set a very large time, or build something into the Mashup to prevent timeout by simulating activity.

Top Tags