cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Looking for a better connection to AspenTech than JDBC or ODBC.

BDownen
2-Guest

Looking for a better connection to AspenTech than JDBC or ODBC.

Customer has been using older AspenTech and we are getting data in bulk queries (via Linked Server) through ODBC (JDBC had bugs that couldn't get resolved).  Customer is upgrading their AspenTech to latest version and I'm praying there is a better connection option like we do with OSI Pi.  Anyone with experience with this product could provide tips?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @BDownen,

Just my 2 cents, in case you don't get a more qualified reply.

I presume you're referring to InfoPlus.21? I've never used it myself, but a quick Google search shows that you should be able to access it via ODBC and/or SOAP wrapper over SQL Plus (essentially SQL over HTTP) and/or Process Data REST API. The latter will probably be the easiest to implement, at least on the ThingWorx side.

If you decide to go the HTTP route (SOAP or REST), there will be few things you'll need to consider:

• Where is your ThingWorx hosted? You'll probably need some proxy component in the Aspen network (somewhat similar to your Linked Server, but for HTTP). Depending on your particular situation, there are several options -- EDGE MicroServer, writing a custom client using EDGE SDK, creating/reusing a ThingWorx Protocol Adapter, etc.
  • What is the nature of your queries? How diverse and/or flexible are they? How much data are you going to transfer, how frequently and in which direction?
  • Do you use ThingWorx Flow, do you have prior experience with EDGE MicroServer, do you have preferred software stack like .Net or Java, etc? -- basically your IT landscape and the skills of your implementation team.

ThingWorx has a wide range of integration options, you just need to choose the one which fits your situation best.

Regards,
Constantine

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @BDownen,

Just my 2 cents, in case you don't get a more qualified reply.

I presume you're referring to InfoPlus.21? I've never used it myself, but a quick Google search shows that you should be able to access it via ODBC and/or SOAP wrapper over SQL Plus (essentially SQL over HTTP) and/or Process Data REST API. The latter will probably be the easiest to implement, at least on the ThingWorx side.

If you decide to go the HTTP route (SOAP or REST), there will be few things you'll need to consider:

• Where is your ThingWorx hosted? You'll probably need some proxy component in the Aspen network (somewhat similar to your Linked Server, but for HTTP). Depending on your particular situation, there are several options -- EDGE MicroServer, writing a custom client using EDGE SDK, creating/reusing a ThingWorx Protocol Adapter, etc.
  • What is the nature of your queries? How diverse and/or flexible are they? How much data are you going to transfer, how frequently and in which direction?
  • Do you use ThingWorx Flow, do you have prior experience with EDGE MicroServer, do you have preferred software stack like .Net or Java, etc? -- basically your IT landscape and the skills of your implementation team.

ThingWorx has a wide range of integration options, you just need to choose the one which fits your situation best.

Regards,
Constantine

Thanks @Constantine .  Yes, IP21 is the Historian they have.  I will look into the other methods.  With the install base of IP21, I would think there may have been a connector for it, but I guess that isn't the case.

Regards,

BDownen

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:BDownen)

Hi @BDownen.

If the response from Constantine answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags