cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Select data point on timseries graph and then display selected rows on grid.

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

Select data point on timseries graph and then display selected rows on grid.

Hi Team,

Suppose I have a timeseries chart and a grid bounded with same service.

I just want to select either data point on graph to get highlighted on grid or changing the rows selection on grid will select any data point on graph.

Please guide with both process logic.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
c_lowy
16-Pearl
(To:ranjank)

Hi @ranjank,

If you bind the same data to both widgets and allow selection of rows in the Grid (set RowSelection parameter to either Single or Multiple) you should be able to select a point on the Chart which will automatically select the corresponding row in the Grid and vice-versa.

If you are seeing a different behavior it might be because of the following bug on the new Line Chart widget in 9.0.0 to 9.0.3 : Line and Bar Chart widgets do not support selection of data entries in ThingWorx. This has been fixed in ThingWorx 9.0.4 and 9.1.0.

I attached some example entities from 9.0. If you view the ChartBug.Mashup in 9.0.4 or later (or 9.1.0) you will see the working behavior on both the new Line Chart and the legacy Time Series Chart.

ranjank
14-Alexandrite
(To:c_lowy)

@c_lowy 

Have checked and found that when selecting the chart type property as Line Chart of widget Line Chart then only it is working fine.

But if we use 'Run Chart' in chart type property, then row selection on grid is not working after clicking on data points of graph.

Please check at your end too.

I have two more questions:-

1) can we reduce the size of circle data points listing on the graph line?If yes then let me know the property name and its values in example.

2) Suppose in my graph more than one field are populating, then can we show above data points only to the specific field as per our requirement. Because datapoints are visible on all the lines which we don't required.

c_lowy
16-Pearl

According to my tests selecting a row from the Grid does select the corresponding point on the Chart no matter the ChartType, however it is the opposite that doesn't work (also no matter the ChartType). Could you confirm this is the behavior you were talking about ? I will report this to our R&D department if it hasn't been reported yet.

Regarding the 2 other points you mentioned, could you provide an example or a screenshot to show what you are trying to achieve ? Thanks in advance !

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

@c_lowy 

1) Could you pls provide the entities to show how you achieve selecting grid rows will select corresponding data point on time-series graph. Also explain the logic as well.

2) Yes, the opposite one is not working...(It is working only for Chart type as Line Chart...For other chart types it is not working).

3) I have found the marker size property on chart through which we can customize the circle size (You can ignore this one).

4) For 2nd question, Have enclosed one screenshot, please have a look. I just want only 2nd line i.e. Pink one will show data points for selection and rest all other will not show any data point for selection. The data is binded with only one service i.e. all data to all datasource. ( Hope it is clear now).

c_lowy
16-Pearl

@ranjank,

To address your points :

1) Using the entities I attached to my post from Feb 24th and viewing mashup ChartBug.Mashup, you should be able to see ;

a. That prior to 9.0.4 selection between Line Chart and Grid did not work (see screenshot 9.0.2_Bug.jpg)

b. That starting 9.0.4 (and 9.1.0) when you select a point from the Line Chart the corresponding row is selected in the Grid (see screenshot 9.0.4_Fix.jpg)

c. That the selection however does not work the other way around (see screenshot 9.0.4_Remaining_Bug.jpg)

2) For me this does not work either when ChartType = Line Chart as per point 1) b.

4) Using out-of-the-box functionalities of the Line Chart widget, the markers can be hidden for all data or none, but not for specific lines only.

ranjank
14-Alexandrite

@c_lowy 

After viewing your screenshots it is clear that selection of grid row won't select graph data point (but in your earlier reply mentioned it does work) That'swhy I asked the logic about. Ok so now both are on the same page that selection of graph points will select grid row. 

My ThingWorx version is 9.1 and in this version If I select "chart type property as Line Chart and curve fitting as Linear" then selection of points on graph is working properly highlighting corresponding row in grid. But when we select any other chart type like "Run Chart with curve fitting as Linear" under property of graph then it is also not working.

Could you please report this case to your R&D time if it is also happening at your end.

c_lowy
16-Pearl
Top Tags