cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Thing Presence and Reporting Strategy

Ascherer17
14-Alexandrite

Thing Presence and Reporting Strategy

I was looking into Thing Presence as described in the docs here: http://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_8_hc/en/#page/ThingWorx%2FHelp%2FComposer%2FThingTemplates%2FThingPresence.html%23 

For context, we are using Thingworx 8.4 with Manufacturing Apps.  It sounds like I could use presence (isReporting) as a standard way to show that my Assets are connected and actively streaming data.

I have created a Reporting Strategy Thing to test this out (result = true) although I have a question: What triggers the evaluation?  I know the service 'EvaluateReporting' performs the evaluation, but is there anything that automatically triggers it or do I have to set something up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Ascherer17 

You have to explicitly invoke the EvaluateReporting service (for example from a timer subscription or other event).

How are you ingesting data ? What kind of strategy are you trying to implement ?

Regards.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Ascherer17 

You have to explicitly invoke the EvaluateReporting service (for example from a timer subscription or other event).

How are you ingesting data ? What kind of strategy are you trying to implement ?

Regards.

Ascherer17
14-Alexandrite
(To:smainente)

We are using the Manufacturing Apps to set up data Property connections with a KEPServer industrial connection.  The assets have status available that we are configuring, however I'm investigating Thing Presence as an additional piece of this since it does not reflect the state of a KEPServer connection nor any other device. 

I want to set up a reporting strategy that checks if any data has streamed into the Asset lately.  I have an idea on how I will set this up but am open to suggestions/best practice.

@Ascherer17 

The only suggestion I have in mind is to avoid frequent query on large stream to get the latest timestamp, it is possible to get this information from the property directly with Thing::GetPropertyTime()

Ascherer17
14-Alexandrite
(To:smainente)

I marked the previous response as answer since it directly answered my question, but Thank you for the additional input!

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Ascherer17)

Hi @Ascherer17.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags