cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Thingworx 'read-only' properties and RemoteThing template

amittal-3
13-Aquamarine

Thingworx 'read-only' properties and RemoteThing template

Hello,

In Thingworx, while creating Things, we can specify the properties as read-only also. According to the documentation https://support.ptc.com/cs/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_7.0_hc/index.jspx?id=ThingProperties&action=show , it mentions that only way of changing this type of property is when we change its default value.

Now my question is, how does 'isConnected' property which is of read-only type in 'RemoteThing/IndustrialGateway' template changes its state when the Thing using these templates is connected to SDK or Industrial Connectivity platform?

-Aditya Mittal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To summary what @slangley said, you cannot change ReadOnly property by using Set button in composer or through update value services, you can only change the default value settings manually.

But you can set the property to external data binding, and it will keep updating the value. isConnected property is one of them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:amittal-3)

Hi @amittal-3.

We're not totally clear on your question in regard to the read-only property vs. the isConnected flag.  isConnected is a system-level property used to identify when devices are actually connected to the platform.  This is not something that can be set by a user.  For a property that you would define that is set to read-only, a user would be unable to change the value at runtime.

If you need more information, please provide clarification around your questions, and we will be happy to provide further details.

Regards.

--Sharon

To summary what @slangley said, you cannot change ReadOnly property by using Set button in composer or through update value services, you can only change the default value settings manually.

But you can set the property to external data binding, and it will keep updating the value. isConnected property is one of them.

amittal-3
13-Aquamarine
(To:zyuan1)

Hello @zyuan1 and @slangley,

Thanks for your replies. My main intention of asking this question was regarding the same thing that @zyuan1 mentioned that read-only properties cannot be set via composer or by user through any means (either manually or by services which are bound on Mashups), but however they can be updated through external bindings, the way remote properties are handled.

For some best practice and security point of view I was planning to make some remote properties as read-only, for which user cannot ever change its value through composer or UI, but the change can take effect only if the property is externally binded through maybe Kepware or using Java SDK.

I just wanted to confirm that.

Regards

Aditya

Top Tags