cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Unable to Start Tomcat9 - The system cannot open the file.(Error in event logs)

SC_10151701
5-Regular Member

Unable to Start Tomcat9 - The system cannot open the file.(Error in event logs)

Hi PTC community & friends,

Recently, I have tried to upgrade my Java version to 11 from Java version 1.8 and new JRE 11 folder is available under java folder just like how Java 1.8 version used to be. I have modified the Tomcat JVM path after upgrade to new Java 11 path upto jvm.dll.. I have set the JAVA_HOME variable and PATH variable as suggested in thingworx 9.3 upgrade documentation. 

After all the above steps, when I tried to start tomcat via service, It fails to start. Upon checking on system event logs. I see following message as below

"The Apache Tomcat 9.0 Tomcat9 service terminated with the following service-specific error:
The system cannot open the file."

Please provide your inputs.

5 REPLIES 5
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:SC_10151701)

Not familiar with that error message, this came from the stderrout or catalina log?

It looks like something within Tomcat is not configured right to work with your new JVM install (which you probably guessed already)

nmutter
14-Alexandrite

We need more information to help.

I would:

- Try start Tomcat manually - not with the service. Theres some startup.bat? in the installation /bin folder. execute the bat via cmd - so you see possible error messages

- Also check settings of tomcat by executing the tomcat9w.exe which shows the settings it will use. Maybe wrong Java is configured

- Check the log files in the tomcat installation directors /logs 

Hello @SC_10151701

Were you able to follow the instruction as provided in previous comment? Are you able to access the Tomcat9 now? 

Waiting for your kind reply. 

Thanks & Regards, 

Surbhi Patel

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @SC_10151701.

Are you running Windows or Linux?  Can you provide a screenshot of your settings? 

Regards.

--Sharon

Hello,

ThingWorx is a Java web app, so I'd suggest you to look in the direction of troubleshooting Tomcat installation instead. For example, verifying and reinstalling Windows service following official Tomcat guide: https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html

/ Constantine

Top Tags