cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

User permissions

JulianaGuerra
11-Garnet

User permissions

Hello! I've started working very recently with Thingworx and I'm trying to understand how permissions work. 
I have a mashup and 2 types of User groups: Group A developers, Group B clients. I gave Runtime permission to both user groups on the mashup but when I log in with a user from either group I can't see anything from the mashup, not a single widget, is blank... Any tips?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @JulianaGuerra,

Does it work for Administrator? If yes, then also check that your users have visibility Media, Style definitions, State definitions, Themes, etc. -- all that you use in that mashup.

Finally, to troubleshoot it, press F12 in your browser and watch the Network tab for errors in HTTP requests. If there's a problem with permissions, you should see some red lines there, click on them and look at the Reponse, it should explain what went wrong.

Regards,
Constantine

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Does the Organization  to which the usergroups belong have Visibility permission to the mashup?

Yes, it does. That's why I don't understand why I can't see anything  

Could you check Application.log and Security.log? You can get some hints there what is not visible for users or what objects need permissions.

You can follow this tutorial in case you need more info on permissions in ThingWorx: https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/guides/data-model-security-control

Hope it helps,

Raluca Edu

Thank you, this tutorial is really good for an overall view of User Permissions! I'll check it out

Hello @JulianaGuerra,

Does it work for Administrator? If yes, then also check that your users have visibility Media, Style definitions, State definitions, Themes, etc. -- all that you use in that mashup.

Finally, to troubleshoot it, press F12 in your browser and watch the Network tab for errors in HTTP requests. If there's a problem with permissions, you should see some red lines there, click on them and look at the Reponse, it should explain what went wrong.

Regards,
Constantine

Thank you so much for your response. So, yes, it works with the Administrator and I checked the visibility, allegedly, it is all set. The mashup I'm testing is really simple just a header, a button, and an image because I just wanted to test what different users could see with different permissions type. However, none can see anything except for the Administrator.

I also did your F12 tip and I got some errors such as "Failed to load resource". 

I followed the errors and had "PlatformSubsystem not found". So I looked for the same kind of question here in Community and found out that I need to give Visibility permission to the Organization on the PlatformSubsystem according to this post: https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Entity-Not-Found-PlatformSubsystem/td-p/529799. Is this correct? 

Yes, is correct. Provide visibility only permissions for your users on Platform Subsystem.

Hello again! I provided visibility only to the Organization on Platform Subsystem and now the users can see the mashup. However, know they can also see Things/Media that they don't have visibility permission, so I guess something went wrong again... 

Hi,

If you added visibility permissions to Things collection for entire organization, then the users have visibility on all things.

Regards,

Raluca Edu

But if I have different types of users that I don't want them to have the same access to all the components of the mashup. For example, when I'm login with my "Client" user, I shouldn't see some widgets. There isn't another way? 

Under Organizations, you can create Organization Units(OUs) and then grant the OUs the required visibility. Also, for most widgets there is a Visible property which is bindable. You could bind the output of a service to this. 

Top Tags