cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Wrapping services into anonymous function

RD_9781013
1-Newbie

Wrapping services into anonymous function

Is there any benefit of wrapping whole service into anonymous function? 

eg.

(function() {
    const someText = 'test';
    logger.info(someText);
})();

const result = function() {
    const someText = 'test';

return someText;
}();

I'm not sure how local variables (service scope) are managed after the service execution completes/fails. Are those variables continue to exist, even if we cannot access them? If yes, it would make sense to wrap whole service into anonymous function, so we are sure they are destroyed after function returns.

I saw this approach few times and it makes sense for me when the service returns value - we can use return statement in any place in the service, but I'm not sure about memory/security benefits.

Is there any documentation on how ThingWorx manages the cleanup and disposal of resources associated with the service execution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanZ
15-Moonstone
(To:RD_9781013)

@RD_9781013 wrote:

[...]

Is there any documentation on how ThingWorx manages the cleanup and disposal of resources associated with the service execution?

I don't think so, because this is more a task of the used Rhino JavaScript engine or at least the Garbage Collector of Java itself. My understanding is, that after a service is executed, the memory will be freed. At least that is something I observed in VisualVM when running services.

Outside from the fact of returning a result at any given moment, there is (to my knowledge) no other benefit for wrapping the service in a function.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DanZ
15-Moonstone
(To:RD_9781013)

@RD_9781013 wrote:

[...]

I don't think so, because this is more a task of the used Rhino JavaScript engine or at least the Garbage Collector of Java itself. My understanding is, that after a service is executed, the memory will be freed. At least that is something I observed in VisualVM when running services.

Outside from the fact of returning a result at any given moment, there is (to my knowledge) no other benefit for wrapping the service in a function.

Top Tags