cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

can someone point me to a sample python script that sets thingworx properties (through Rest API?)

bwalke
5-Regular Member

can someone point me to a sample python script that sets thingworx properties (through Rest API?)

I am a thingworx starter and looking for some reference material on how to use python to communicate with thingworx server to get me started.

4 REPLIES 4
adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:bwalke)

Hi Bhaskar,

The Requests HTTP library for Python makes interacting with the ThingWorx API a breeze. The following sample code uses this library to set two Properties (stringProperty and numberProperty) defined on a Thing:

import requests

import json

url = 'https://localhost/Thingworx'

headers = { 'Content-Type': 'application/json', 'appKey': 'ed18a4a1-c6d5-46b3-ace8-b55d148e2384' }

payload = { 'stringProperty': 'ThingWorx', 'numberProperty': 14.3 }

response = requests.put(url + '/Things/ExampleThing/Properties/*', headers=headers, json=payload, verify=False)

Since Tomcat is configured with a self-signed certificate, False must be passed as an argument to the verify parameter. In a production environment, you will want to verify the SSL certificate.

You can find information about the ThingWorx API here.

bwalke
5-Regular Member
(To:adam11)

Thanks a LOT Adam for the detailed reply.

Can you please also provide information on how to “get” thingworx property value using python?

Thanks in advance,

Bhaskar Walke

adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:bwalke)

You're welcome : )

To retrieve a Property value, you need to modify the headers:

headers = { 'Accept': 'application/json', 'appKey': 'ed18a4a1-c6d5-46b3-ace8-b55d148e2384' }

and use the method that corresponds to a GET:

response = requests.get(url + '/Things/ExampleThing/Properties/stringProperty', headers=headers, verify=False)

Hi Adam,

I am getting SSL Error to send request from the python.

I tried to go through the link you provided, but i did not the solution. Can you give some solution?

I have tried passing the PEM file also for SSL error, but i could not able to make it. .

headers = { 'Accept': 'application/json', 'appKey': '4ddd126f-c719-431a-9b42-36b75eeebc45' }

response = requests.post(url + '/Things/TestDevice8/Properties/BatteryVoltage', headers=headers, verify="C:\All_Builds\PythonScripts\URL_Test_Copy\ems_get_connected.pem")

raise SSLError(e, request=request)

requests.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 8] _ssl.c:504: EOF occurred in violation of protocol

Top Tags