cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

changing apache tomcat from 9 to 8.5 after thingworx installation

Ujwal17
7-Bedrock

changing apache tomcat from 9 to 8.5 after thingworx installation

I have installed thingworx 8.5 with apache tomcat 9. but apche 9 is taking lot of cpu utilization. so thinking to change it to apache 8.5 what is the procedure for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Just copy "webapps/Thingworx" directory from old Tomcat home to the new one, making sure that both are installed on the same disk drive and configured similarly (see conf/server.xml). Stop 9.0 and start 8.5, it should just work.

Having said that -- don't do it, you probably won't gain any performance (if not lose).

/ Constantine

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hello,

Just copy "webapps/Thingworx" directory from old Tomcat home to the new one, making sure that both are installed on the same disk drive and configured similarly (see conf/server.xml). Stop 9.0 and start 8.5, it should just work.

Having said that -- don't do it, you probably won't gain any performance (if not lose).

/ Constantine

What is the system requirements for 8.5 ?

I have installed thingworx 8.5 + apache tomcat 9 on 8 gb RAM ,will it affect the performance?? 

Here, check out the first link: https://www.google.com/search?q=thingworx+8.5+system+requirements

8 GB should be enough for prototyping and developing small-to-medium size applications.

/ Constantine

Actually, I have installed Thingworx 8.5 trial version in 8 Gb system. But it is taking long time to open. After opening, it shows some error like this,

Unable to execute service SpotlightSearch on SearchFunctions : Unable to get search entries: [1,018] Data store unknown error: [Error occurred while accessing the model provider.]

Restarting tomcat also takes lots of time.

From what I've seen, the freshly installed system typically consumes somewhere between 0.5 and 2 GB of RAM. For example, right now I'm looking at a live 8.5.4 system with 500 things, which uses 700MB of RAM. Here I'm talking about JVM only, the database is a separate discussion. 

There are many variables that can impact performance, such as how much RAM is available for ThingWorx, what database you use and where it is deployed, what CPU you have (usually ThingWorx performance is CPU-bound), etc. And on top of this all of it can be tuned.

In your case I would suggest to look at the logs (Tomcat and ApplicationLog) -- if you installed everything correctly there should be no errors. PTC Support should be able to help you with this.

/ Constantine

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Ujwal17)

Hi @Ujwal17.

If one of the previous responses answered your question, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags