cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

default value

LynnM
5-Regular Member

default value

It's been a year since this post and there are newer versions released.

Is there a solution for this?

If it's not the built-in behavior, I'd like to specify that if the new value is null, then set the value to the default value.

Why else would there be a default value?

I've entered a default, value; I shouldn't need to write a bunch of code for the default value to mean something more than documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:LynnM)

The Composer tooltip and the help clearly state on the "Has Default Value" checkbox: "Indicates if the Property is configured to have a default value. If true and the Default Value is set, the Property value will have the Default Value when the Thing is initialized."

It is not the intended purpose of the default value to be a "reset-to-this-value". The intention is to provide initial values when a Thing is created so  developer/users can be sure there always is a value.

Also, the original post gave a workaround when someone wants to use Default Value in a different way.

My understanding is that at that time no-one created a Product Idea or a Change Request. Therefore no change can be expected on a behavior that works per spec and would probably cause many side-effects in existing applications, if changed.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:LynnM)

The Composer tooltip and the help clearly state on the "Has Default Value" checkbox: "Indicates if the Property is configured to have a default value. If true and the Default Value is set, the Property value will have the Default Value when the Thing is initialized."

It is not the intended purpose of the default value to be a "reset-to-this-value". The intention is to provide initial values when a Thing is created so  developer/users can be sure there always is a value.

Also, the original post gave a workaround when someone wants to use Default Value in a different way.

My understanding is that at that time no-one created a Product Idea or a Change Request. Therefore no change can be expected on a behavior that works per spec and would probably cause many side-effects in existing applications, if changed.

Top Tags