cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

generic id for license connection string

hortemt
3-Visitor

generic id for license connection string

Hi,

We recently installed the 8-1-1 version of Thingworx and finally fixed the bugs in the platform-settings.json file for the application to launch.

My question is about the LicensingConnectionSettings. Is it possible to create a generic ID with PTC to use in the file instead of having one of us hard code our password in plaintext?

Thanks,

Tom

6 REPLIES 6
ttielebein
12-Amethyst
(To:hortemt)

Check out page 18 of the ThingWorx 8.1.1 Installation Guide. Hope this helps!

Hi Tori,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, page 18 does not answer my question. Page 18 describes how to encrypt the password. However, what I would like to do is use a generic ID for my organization to access the license.

This is a SOX issue that I assume many organizations would be concerned about in case the person's ID used in the file leaves the company.

Thanks,

Tom

If you are referring to the activation id in the license connection info settings, that is determined and fixed when you order a thingworx license.

There is another ID, called the instance ID that is created upon installation.  This is entirely determined by the platform and cannot be overridden.

Don Schellberg

Thingworx Consultant

Hi Donald,

Thank you for the reply. I am referring to the activation id in the license connection info settings. The issue is linking this id to a person. If that person leaves the role, we will have to take an application outage in order to update. I would prefer to create a generic id linked to the license so that this is not another break point. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Tom

Got it,

The Thingworx platform uses the flexnet  licensing APIs.  Licenses are created using Flexera's portal which is tied to an invoice when a customer buys a thingworx license.  Each line item of that invoice refers to a license feature or a group of license features(composer, things, mashup builder, users etc).  The entitlement id refers to the invoice ID and activation IDs refer to each line item of that invoice.  Those IDs are generated by the flexera portal when a customer purchases a license.  The activation ID or entitlement ID is not mapped to one person but rather to the company that purchased the license.

In the Licensing Connection settings, the client can specify an activation id which refers to one line item of that invoice, or an entitlement ID, which refers to the whole invoice.  User can also specify multiple activation ids with a comma separated list.  In any case when the platform pulls a license from the licensing server it needs either an entitlement ID or activation IDs that correspond to that invoice.

Thomas,

What are you trying to do?  Perhaps I can help you in another way.

Top Tags