cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

how long we can store data in thingworx

YS_10134308
10-Marble

how long we can store data in thingworx

hii,

I want to know , up to how long we can store data in thingworx , for how many days, months or years ?

Also is our data safe , what about security of user's data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @YS_10134308 ,

That question is not ThingWorx specific, because ThingWorx does not enforce any sort of data expiration  (I remember that perhaps in Influx Database setup files the ootb limit is 365 days).

While we do not have the concept of data expiration, you should prepare and test your solution ahead of time by understanding how much data it produces daily in the underlying database. The key point here is that you do not want to be surprised one week (or month, or year) after your solution rollout by too much data in the Database type of issues. I have seen situations where just counting the rows in some of the tables took hours because of huge amounts of data that were added in there because of the solution design.

Also remember that you should not treat ThingWorx as a pure historian type of application, as it was just not designed to do this. Historians are special types of applications that are purposefully built to store large amounts of data (coming from PLCs or other data sources). They only do that, and very well.

In ThingWorx we tend to integrate with such systems instead of storing all data in ThingWorx.

With this in mind, I always keep just the right amount of data in ThingWorx for the use of my application, and if it's too much data, the rest I either offload in a separate Database (historian, S3, DataLake etc) or resample. Note that there is quite possible that you can keep your data only in ThingWorx, but that depends purely on your solution needs and design.

There are many ways to do tackle this topic, and what I wrote above should be taken only as a slight "intro" in this area.

If you desire more specific help on this area, our Consultant colleagues can help you - so please contact your PTC contact to understand the mentoring you need in this area.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @YS_10134308 ,

That question is not ThingWorx specific, because ThingWorx does not enforce any sort of data expiration  (I remember that perhaps in Influx Database setup files the ootb limit is 365 days).

While we do not have the concept of data expiration, you should prepare and test your solution ahead of time by understanding how much data it produces daily in the underlying database. The key point here is that you do not want to be surprised one week (or month, or year) after your solution rollout by too much data in the Database type of issues. I have seen situations where just counting the rows in some of the tables took hours because of huge amounts of data that were added in there because of the solution design.

Also remember that you should not treat ThingWorx as a pure historian type of application, as it was just not designed to do this. Historians are special types of applications that are purposefully built to store large amounts of data (coming from PLCs or other data sources). They only do that, and very well.

In ThingWorx we tend to integrate with such systems instead of storing all data in ThingWorx.

With this in mind, I always keep just the right amount of data in ThingWorx for the use of my application, and if it's too much data, the rest I either offload in a separate Database (historian, S3, DataLake etc) or resample. Note that there is quite possible that you can keep your data only in ThingWorx, but that depends purely on your solution needs and design.

There are many ways to do tackle this topic, and what I wrote above should be taken only as a slight "intro" in this area.

If you desire more specific help on this area, our Consultant colleagues can help you - so please contact your PTC contact to understand the mentoring you need in this area.

Hope it helps.

Top Tags