cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

managing dev test and prod environment in thingworx

sanil
4-Participant

managing dev test and prod environment in thingworx

i need to have a dev test stage and prod environment for thingworx. what would be the best way to do this.

1) Should i have 4 separate thingworx foundation setups with separate database if so how i can move entities and data from one environment to other.

2) Should i have a single thingworx foundation installed for all and point to same database.If this scenario how shall i move entities from one environment to other.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:sanil)

Hi @sanil.

It would be recommended to have separate persistence providers for each environment.  You might be able to run the database and ThingWorx on the same server for your non-prod environments as long as they have adequate resources (RAM, CPU, etc.), but for Prod, the database and ThingWorx should be separated for performance reasons.

In regard to migrating from one environment to the next, ThingWorx provides functionality for export/import.  Keep in mind that any required extensions will need to be installed first, and there is an order regarding entity import to ensure the import succeeds.  For any failures, check the logs to troubleshoot issues.  It would also be a good idea to establish a change control process to document the order of imports as you migrate from one environment to the next.

Please refer to this page in the ThingWorx Help Center for more information on export/import.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:sanil)

Hi @sanil.

It would be recommended to have separate persistence providers for each environment.  You might be able to run the database and ThingWorx on the same server for your non-prod environments as long as they have adequate resources (RAM, CPU, etc.), but for Prod, the database and ThingWorx should be separated for performance reasons.

In regard to migrating from one environment to the next, ThingWorx provides functionality for export/import.  Keep in mind that any required extensions will need to be installed first, and there is an order regarding entity import to ensure the import succeeds.  For any failures, check the logs to troubleshoot issues.  It would also be a good idea to establish a change control process to document the order of imports as you migrate from one environment to the next.

Please refer to this page in the ThingWorx Help Center for more information on export/import.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @sanil.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the previous reply as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Announcements

Top Tags