cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Section view or Clipping of model display in Vuforia Studio

100% helpful (5/5)

Often, we need to display some sections, or we required to have a view of a x-section of the model.

This is in generally no part of the current functionality but there are some approaches which could be helpful.

In this article I want to mention 3 different approaches, which could be used but no one of them is really perfect:

1.) uploading different models -  so we can use an additional models for each cut and then we can change the model if you want to display a cut, it means you can make the one model not visible and the display the second model or vice versa.  I tested with cuts created in Creo Illustrate 5.0 and Creo View 5.0 but it seems that Vuforia Studio could not display them /neither as part of sequence or as static to the current figure:

2018-10-17_11-04-57.jpg2018-10-17_11-26-56.jpg

The only possible  way in this example is to create in Creo an assembly cut /with option cut also on part level  and  then create from there a new .pvz model. 

In this case this seems to work fine:

:

2018-10-17_11-14-40.jpg

2018-10-17_11-17-14.jpg2018-10-17_11-19-29.jpg2018-10-17_11-19-14.jpg

2.) the second approach is to remove components  step  by step,  so to see the inner components when the outer components are blanked:

2018-10-17_11-28-47.jpg2018-10-17_11-29-05.jpg2018-10-17_11-29-19.jpg

All different components, which should be displayed or blanked, need to be defined as modelItem where we can set the visible property to true or false

Is also possible to blank or display  a list of components where the list is defined in json file. This could be done with JavaScript code. In this case we do not need to define a modelItem widgets.  For more information you can check the post 

3.) 

The last most powerful option is to use a shader for the model Widget. So for example we can use some kind of clipping functionality of the model where we can set the x min and x max value or ymin and ymax or zmin and zmax value what should be displayed. This will create a clipping effect. So only the geometry which satisfy this criteria will be displayed.  

2019-07-25_18-36-38.jpg

How to achieve a clipping functionality using a shader.

3.1) define a shader - this requires creating a tmlText widget where we can define the shader Code. The code should be inserted into the text property of the tml widget

For the clipping along x axis with planes which are parallel to the  YZ plain we need to define the following javascript with GLSL:

<script name="slice_world_based_x" type="x-shader/x-vertex">

attribute vec3 vertexPosition; 
  attribute vec3 vertexNormal;

varying vec3 N;
  varying vec4 vertexCoord;

uniform mat4 modelMatrix;
  uniform mat4 modelViewProjectionMatrix;

void main() {

vec4 vp     = vec4(vertexPosition, 1.0);
    gl_Position = modelViewProjectionMatrix * vp;
    vertexCoord = modelMatrix*vp;

// the surface normal vector
    N = vec3(normalize(modelMatrix* vec4(vertexNormal,0.0)));
  }
</script>

<script name="slice_world_based_x" type="x-shader/x-fragment">

// this setting is needed for a certain use of properties
  precision mediump float;

// determine varying parameters
  varying vec3 N;
  varying vec4 vertexCoord;

// determine shader input parameters
  uniform vec4 surfaceColor;
  uniform float slicex;
  uniform float slicewidth;

const vec3 lightPos = vec3(1.0, 2.2, 0.5);
  const vec4 ambientColor = vec4(0.3, 0.3, 0.3, 1.0);

void main() {

// calc the dot product and clamp based on light position
    // 0 -> 1 rather than -1 -> 1

// ensure everything is normalized
    vec3 lightDir = -(normalize(lightPos)); 
    vec3 NN  = normalize(N);

// calculate the dot product of the light to the vertex normal
    float dProd = max(0.0, dot(NN, -lightDir));

// calculate current color of vertex, unless it is being clipped...
// only geometry with coordinates which satisfy the condition below
// will be displayed if ( vertexCoord.x > (slicex + slicewidth/2.0) || vertexCoord.x < (slicex - slicewidth/2.0) ) { discard; } else { // calculate the color based on light-source and shadows on model gl_FragColor = (ambientColor + vec4(dProd)) * surfaceColor; } } </script>

Save the tml Text widget .  

3.2) You can also define shaders for clipping along the Y and the Z axis. Here you can use the same shader javascript definition but you need to change the shader name and to modify the if  check respectively to the Y or Z coordinate:

<script name="slice_world_based_y" type="x-shader/x-vertex">
  // calculate current color of vertex, unless it is being clipped...
    if ( vertexCoord.y > (slicex + slicewidth/2.0) || 
         vertexCoord.y <  (slicex - slicewidth/2.0) )
    {    
      discard;   
    } 
    else 

To set the clipping values for different axes and to control it by   sliders we can use some code like this:

$scope.DIR="y";
$scope.slice = function() {
  var slicexCur = ($scope.view.wdg['slider-1']['value']/100.0)-0.5; 
  var slicewidthCur = ($scope.view.wdg['slider-2']['value']/100.0); 
  $scope.view.wdg['modelx']['shader'] = "slice_world_based_"+$scope.DIR+";slicex f "+ slicexCur + ";slicewidth f " + slicewidthCur;
}

////////////////////////////////////////////
$scope.$on('$ionicView.afterEnter', function(){
  // Anything you can think of
  $scope.clickY()
 }); 
///////////////////////////////////////
$scope.clickX=function()
{
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-X']['value'] =true
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-Y']['value'] =false
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-Z']['value'] =false
  $scope.DIR="x"

}
$scope.clickY=function()
{
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-X']['value'] =false
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-Y']['value'] =true
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-Z']['value'] =false
$scope.DIR="y"
}

$scope.clickZ=function()
{
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-X']['value'] =false
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-Y']['value'] =false
$scope.view.wdg['toggle-Z']['value'] =true
  $scope.DIR="z"
}
///////////////////////////////////////

Here the slice() function is called in the slider change event (for the both slider widgets).

For better understanding of the functionality you can review the attached Vuforia Studio project

Here attached the improved version for HL. It is also approved by dev team.  slice_example.zip

https://community.ptc.com/sejnu66972/attachments/sejnu66972/tkb_vuforiatechtips/48/4/slice_example.z...

Another version (also for HL) attached here is the example   slice_example_using_ABCD  project – where the dev team demonstrates an efficient way showing how we can define a cutting plane via plane ABCD parameters (refer to  plane geometry equations :

geometry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry)  

To cover this functionality the dev team developed some studio extensions that  PTC customers can use instead.   That extensions widgets will handle reflections etc, and I it is recommend to use  those extensions .:

1. https://github.com/steveghee/OCTO_Studio_extensions
  2. https://github.com/steveghee/OCTO_effects_extensions

Comments

Thanks for sharing this, especially the third possibility is great. Setting section views dynamically in Vuforia is a very useful feature.

Hello @RolandRaytchev ,

is it possible to cut the model only in one Axis with one click on the normal button?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @DenGrz ,

I am not sure what is exactly your question. 

Here in the example in the article the implementation is easy because we will make a cut normal to a coordinate system axis. In this case the plane equation easy - when we cut on plane which is parallel to the x-y plane  (z= const value  where the const value is the shift to the x-y plane)

If you mean in your question  that you want to create a cut on any axis – yes , mathematically it is possible but this will be not trivial. In this case the way  how we will select the plane. So, for example if you have a normal vector with a start point. 

There will be 2 challenge:

1.) to specify the start point means the point which is on the cutting surface

2.) the vector definition where the section plane should be normal to

All both inputs will be difficult to be done and requires some additional constructs

In case that we already have the origin point and the vector we can define the plane definition

We can then could define Ax+Bx+Cx +D=0 the plane equation.

2020-04-27_15-18-28.jpg

where the (A,B,C) -> is the normal vector to the cut plane and D = A*x0+B*y0+C*z0  and (x0,y0,z0) is a point on the cutting plane

So in shader we need then to check something like:

if(vertexCoord.x*A +vertexCoord.x*B+vertexCoord.x*C>D) discard;

Hello,

this functionality worked perfectly in the past, but now I discovered that it doesn't work anymore. Anyone else having issues?

Regards,

whity

Hello @whity ,

I tested it today and could confirm an issue on IOS. On android device and in preview mode it works fine. I need to check it more detailed and will report an issue to PTC R&D if required

Hello @whity ,

I tested it more detailed on IOS and found that issue is caused by program code which is not related directly to shader functionality. So I cleaned, removed the non-necessary code and tested it . Now is working fine also on iPad device

I attached the new example which should work on Android  and IOS "Cuting_plane_shader-Communty-Issue.zip"

Hi all,

I think I found a good way to determin the optimal parameters using an excel sheet (see below)

Here an example for the Y values.

1.: Use a label-widget and place it on the top position of your model. This comes to field F2

2.: Fill in the y-pos of your model to Field C2, can be 0.

3.: Fill in the number of steps from your slieder. In this example the slider goes from min 0 to max 100

Parameters.PNG

Now fill in the outcome from b, d and e into the code.

slicexCur = ($scope.view.wdg['slider-1']['value']/divisions - axiscorrection);
$scope.view.wdg['model-1']['shader'] = "slice_world_based_"+$scope.DIR+";slicex f "+ slicexCur + ";slicewidth f " + widthfactor;

Regards,

whity

Hi all,

I want to share here a sample project which demonstrates the clipping shaders also working for HoloLens devices. Here want to remember that for mobile and preview we need to use glsl and for HoloLens devices  HLGL – which means that we need 2 different shader implementations.

Here I attached my version of the shader as project , tested in Preview and HoloLens. It contains 2 shaders /version for gl and for hl. Depending on preview mode check I will set the gl or hl shader. I have 3 slicer / cat shaders which are based on normal shader, oh xref2 and on reflect shader. There in the studio project are toggle buttons to switch between the different shaders on sample model

So the shader implementation covers only the shader type used in the community post  

The shaders will clip x,y,z with length deltaxyz. I think I will follow also one  suggestion   and could implement it with plane definition (normal Vector  A B C and ( D= (x0*A+y0*B+z0*C) I do not think that this is a problem  and will provide it soon

2021-11-03_15-35-28.jpg

the example from my previous post /message https://community.ptc.com/sejnu66972/attachments/sejnu66972/tkb_vuforiatechtips/48/3/ExamleCommuntyShadersSLiceXRay2DefaultReflect.zip

contains different shaders , and should be considered only as demonstration how to use the functionality when somebody want to developer his own shader. . Please, note that it is not optimized and could lead to low performance when we display complex models.

Here attached the improved version for HL. It is also approved by dev team.  slice_example.zip

https://community.ptc.com/sejnu66972/attachments/sejnu66972/tkb_vuforiatechtips/48/4/slice_example.zip

To cover this functionality the dev team developed some studio extensions that  PTC customers can use instead.   That extensions widgets will handle reflections etc, and I it is recommend to use  those extensions .:

1. https://github.com/steveghee/OCTO_Studio_extensions
  2. https://github.com/steveghee/OCTO_effects_extensions

Hi Roland,

Thank you so much for providing the working model of this project. Really appreciated!

However, I have a requirement wherein I need a quarter section, i.e once x axis selected we can get a section in x axis till some length and when we select Y axis toggle, it will also create a section in Y- axis giving a quarter section. It should look finally as shown in image below.

Dhaval_Bendale_0-1670562105880.png

Hi @Dhaval_Bendale ,

I attached here a shader example for HL-(slice_example_using_ABCD_with_capping-TESTs). The capping seems not to workbut I did not have time to complete it (was only a try)  it is not completed but possibly could  helpful for the desired cut - at least the approach used there is simple ->to cut only specific modelItem widgets. There is also a second   project (sampleSliceWorldCoordXYZ )which used more then one cutting plane (slice)

Version history
Last update:
‎Jan 12, 2023 05:38 AM
Updated by:
Labels (1)
Attachments
Contributors