cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Chalk, call for Iphone and Android

RG_10041320
6-Contributor

Chalk, call for Iphone and Android

Hello everyone,

I wanted to expose a situation here and see if there is any solution.
Once the connection between Vuforia Studio and Chalk is made, if I call an Android phone, it doesn't receive any information about the call, only when it opens the application, if I have the application open it receives the normal call. If I call an Apple phone, even with the application closed, it calls as if it were a normal call. Is there any way to make this process, from the Apple smartphone the same for Android?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I tested the issue  now . I called from IOS device IPad 6 generation  to Samsung Galaxy 9+ device Android 10; SM-G965F Build/QP1A.190711.020 and was not able to reproduce the issue . I called form my ptc account where an user register  with my private google account. The Chalk app on android have all possible permissions on Android - also chalk app was closed and device was with screen lock and display was black - stand by modus. Then when I called it took about 10 seconds and the chalk app was displayed and started ringing.

1.)Are all app permissions set on the android device?

2.) is the called user already registered in chalk (e-mail is registered)

3.) Is the chalk app updated? (on both devices )

3.) what is the OS build on device where the issue occurs?

//==> I sent the account info  to R&D possibly they could find something in the log. I there is a feedback, in this case I  will share it here or via  message.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @RG_10041320 ,

so far I know there is no extra functionality to mange this  from the Studio side. When a chalk application is active and there is upcoming call you can receive it  but when it is not active you will not receive the call. It seems that this behavior is different based on the IOS chalk implementation.

So the question is , when we speak about connection between Studio and chalk what is meant in which use context:. What scenario:

•  E.g. you used the chalk widget but you did not click on it yet.
  • Or you called already the chalk app via click on the chalk widget and closed then the chalk app after the call?
  • Or you started the chalk via JavaScript ?

You can check in this case what is that running status of the chalk application on both platforms (Android and app) Possibly there are some OS (Android)  specific setting which could change the behavior.

From the Studio side we can open the chalk app via click on the chalk widget but also it is possible to use some techniques as already mentioned in the post  https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Start-Chalk-from-a-2D-Experience/m-p/721020#M9632

So e.g. you can call some  javascript form studio /e.g. on Studio start or on other event )where you can call the chalk app. Possibly on android you have to let the chalk app running on the background. This is something what should be tested.

You can also post a question in the chalk community https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Chalk/bd-p/chalk if there is some known setting to change the calk behavior (listing in the background ) on android.

For the case that you called the chalk form JavaScript so far I remember there is a parameter which will specify to which app  the control should be address when the app is closed. But this is only relevant when the call is done by javascript but so far I know this setting will not change running behaviour of the chalk app. Depending on your application case we can also report this as an issue to development team so possibly there we can receive some additional info about the behaviour but for this we need to know more detailed about the scenario where the issue occurs. The steps how the chalk is called? And if this is an general difference between android and IOS. Or is difference which could be observed only on specific Android build or specific mobile device, chalk version et.c. So possible a check with different device type could be helpful here.

Hello @RolandRaytchev,

I use this:

RG_10041320_0-1633681062230.png

Here, when you click on the button, it links directly to the person in question. Only when I call someone with an android smartphone, if that person doesn't have the Chalk application open, they don't receive any information, if the aplication is open, they receive the call. If the person has an iOS smartphone, the application opens, even if it is closed and they receive the call.

thanks for the feedback!

So if I understand it correctly issue does no occur on  the device where the chalk is called but is related to the receiver who should answer the call, right? 

In this case I believe there is should not be a difference if you call using the javaScript form Studio project or you simple will open the chalk app and will call the android  user. Is there difference when you start chalk on your mobile  device and call an android user where the app is not started? Or is  the behaviour different?

There is the same problem, whether I call from the script, or open the Chalk application directly on the smartphone, on android, if chalk is not open it doesn't show up calling, even if it is in the background, it only shows up calling even when chalk is opening,

Thanks for the feedback. OK it is clear now, so , I will try to check this with chalk dev team and will share here when I receive further information. 

Ok, thank you.

Hi @RG_10041320 ,

here is a feedback from dev team :

On both Apple and iOS, Chalk is expected to receive incoming calls even if the app is closed (as long as you are logged in). How exactly the incoming call is presented differs (the UI is operating system specific), but if the Android phone doesn’t present the call at all, that is not expected behavior. – It could indeed be a permissions issue: the operating system can suppress them.
Could you provide, pliease ,  more specific information on this, such as: the exact device model and operating system version this is happening on, or the customer’s account information such that we could look up what our logs say?

If there are some confidential information (e.g. user account, user name , e-mail , IP-address etc. ) , please, do not share them here (public area) . Please, use instead a private message. Thanks!

I tested the issue  now . I called from IOS device IPad 6 generation  to Samsung Galaxy 9+ device Android 10; SM-G965F Build/QP1A.190711.020 and was not able to reproduce the issue . I called form my ptc account where an user register  with my private google account. The Chalk app on android have all possible permissions on Android - also chalk app was closed and device was with screen lock and display was black - stand by modus. Then when I called it took about 10 seconds and the chalk app was displayed and started ringing.

1.)Are all app permissions set on the android device?

2.) is the called user already registered in chalk (e-mail is registered)

3.) Is the chalk app updated? (on both devices )

3.) what is the OS build on device where the issue occurs?

//==> I sent the account info  to R&D possibly they could find something in the log. I there is a feedback, in this case I  will share it here or via  message.

You're right,

I was missing some permissions.

Thank you very much,

Hello everyone,

I wanted to expose a situation here and see if there is any solution.

I use this for a button to make a direct call from a person:

RG_10041320_0-1633681403432.png

Here, when you click on the button, it links directly to the person in question. Only when I call someone with an android smartphone, if that person doesn't have the Chalk application open, they don't receive any information, if the application is open, they receive the call. If the person has an iOS smartphone, the application opens, even if it is closed and they receive the call.

There is any way for the application to also open on Android?

Top Tags