cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Location Based Event

rireland-bowcot
11-Garnet

Location Based Event

I am currently working with HoloLens and Illustrate to create an AR experience. I'd like to trigger an event, such as an email or on-screen warning when the user enters a designated zone. This zone will most likely be a 3D model (lets say a cube) that the user could walk into. 

I'd like to know if this is actually possible within the studio environment and second, if you can, provide a bit of a guideline on how I would approach such a task. 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AFAIK this is not possible within Studio. While you make the cubes and walk into them there is not trigger action for collision or location. You could tap/click the cubes or other objects and have that do something. There is a location property in the JS that returns GPS location and I have tried to access this. And while you can do it in the Preview it does not work in View as the app does not have location permission enabled.

I'm sure you could pull this off in Unity with the Vuforia Engine/SDK. But then you are developing a standalone app.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AFAIK this is not possible within Studio. While you make the cubes and walk into them there is not trigger action for collision or location. You could tap/click the cubes or other objects and have that do something. There is a location property in the JS that returns GPS location and I have tried to access this. And while you can do it in the Preview it does not work in View as the app does not have location permission enabled.

I'm sure you could pull this off in Unity with the Vuforia Engine/SDK. But then you are developing a standalone app.

The Waypoint project that PTC was showing at LiveWorx earlier this year is designed to have this type of functionality.  The idea is that the HoloLens scans the environment and then you can define zones and triggers for those zones.

You can see a bit of a demo of Waypoint here: https://youtu.be/P_wqrxsVSlU?t=1h9m11s although it's mainly around instructions.

I talked to the Waypoint guys and they were explaining about the idea of zones and how a user entering a zone could trigger something.

Top Tags