cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

MIT - Academic Licensure - Technical Questions - TIME SENSITIVE

BM_9238375
5-Regular Member

MIT - Academic Licensure - Technical Questions - TIME SENSITIVE

Hello - 

The Leadership team at MIT sent me the following questions (That I didn't personally have the answers to) following a discussion today. They've asked me to answer these questions by the end of business today as they're looking to move quickly on AR procurement. If someone could please answer these questions and send the answers to rmcbride@ptc.com - i would be VERY Grateful. Thank you all for your support and assistance.

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for meeting with us today. As we discussed, there are some follow-up questions we’d like answered.

The questions are:

1. How easy is it to provide the application to students? What are the range of operating systems Vuforia supports?
    1. [ Tablets / Phones / HUD ] 
  2. Can you create custom UI elements?
    1. [ Look and Feel ] 
  3. What is provided as part of the cloud services?  
  4. How transferable is this product over to unity if we wanted to expand on our application or add c# components? 
  5. Does support for our tier come with Product Assistance & Educational Assets & Example Projects?
  6. What is considered a 'public view' is this 1 view = 1 user?
  7. Device flexibility for Vuforia Studio: do you have to start over coding if switching headset vs mobile? Would we need to develop different versions of an app for different platforms?
  8. Can we collect the following types of data? If so, how is that data packaged? Are we able to collect the raw data or is it processed in some way?

•          "in-platform" data like which functionalities (videos, FAQs, instructions, etc) are being accessed least/most often and how are they being used
  •   relation to the machine (orientation of the machine, which aspects of the machine are being focused on): thing-mark a big plus
  •   capturing what the headset sees (video)
  •   eye-tracking

1. How is data stored and collected?
  2. Can you track the downloads from students?
  3. How large / many IOT data sets can you have in one application?
  4. Does Vuforia provide a way to conduct analysis on tracking UI data?
    1. [ button clicks, screen time, eye tracking, model orientation ]
  5. Who owns the data we collect--MIT or Vuforia?
  6. Is there an option for a proof-of-concept (exploratory) license for a few months?

Kind Regards,

Emily Welsh

1 REPLY 1

Hello Emily,

The answers :

1. How is data stored and collected?

Which data ? We have data in the Experience itslef, data from Thingworx and data from third-party web servers.

- Data in Experience are loaded like ressources of a web page.

They are stored in a cache file locally in Vuforia View

- Data from ThingWorx, values of sensors for example, are stored in Thingworx database.

- Data from a third-party server are loaded with REST api or an URL for example and they are stored in another and third-party servers.

2. Can you track the downloads from students?

I suppose it is about download of Experience from Vuforia Experience Service.

In a such case, the answer is yes, please read the installation guide at page 102.

https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/support/refdocs/Vuforia_Experience_Service/8,-d-,5,-d-,11/ESInstallDeploy_173159.pdf?sc_lang=en

3. How large / many IOT data sets can you have in one application?

No limits from data in ThingWorx, limits are :

- About hardware capacity to store and to display data in Vuforia View

- About bandwidth of internet/intranet connection

- Timeout and size in HTTP requests with Vuforia Experience Service

4. Does Vuforia provide a way to conduct analysis on tracking UI data?

No, it is not a behavior included in Vuforia Studio and in Vuforia View.

But it might be possible to use a third-party tool as Open Web Analytics : http://www.openwebanalytics.com/

In Vuforia Studio, include Javascript code needed :

http://demo.openwebanalytics.com/jstracker.php

See this post how to include a JavaScript ressource in Vuforia Studio and how to use it :

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Including-js-file-from-resources/td-p/556781

1. [ button clicks, screen time, eye tracking, model orientation ]

5. Who owns the data we collect--MIT or Vuforia?

If it is about UI Tracking, I think that the answer has been given in previous question. MIT will be the owner.

If it is about data stored in ThingWorx database and this instance is hosted by PTC Cloud, I think that the owner of data is MIT. This point should be checked and confirm by a colleague of PTC Cloud.

If ThingWorx and Vuforia Experience Service are installed as On-Premise, the owner is MIT.

6. Is there an option for a proof-of-concept (exploratory) license for a few months?

Yes, the trial version but it has some limitations. https://trial.studio.vuforia.com/login/

It might be possible that a PTC Sales gives a specific license for test during a few month also.

I thing that a special access already exists for universities.

Best regards,

Samuel

Top Tags