cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

DevOps for Windchill

Ben_A
8-Gravel

DevOps for Windchill

I'm trying to create a DevOps style of Windchill development and need some community guidance.

In a nut shell, we have 9 Windchill developers and we are all doing both configuration (inside Windchill) and customization (directly on the servers). We are having to duplicate the work between development, test, and production servers which is a colossal waste of time. Also, we currently have very little controls in place and our customer wants us to do better... they suggested we use DevOps.

I believe I can use a git repo to capture and apply server side changes but how do I capture configuration changes saved inside the Oracle DB and apply them to other servers that have their own, separate Oracle instances?

3 REPLIES 3
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:Ben_A)

Talk to @jfelkins 

You can use any VCS tool like git to track the custom code, but pay attention where to put it, fearing to track all the directory structure !

Windchill has the concept of Safe Area to manage customization and Java files during updates and CPS maintenance, there are other processes for other type of files such as jars and properties. It’s well explained in a dedicated section in the basic customization help center.

Some customers creates their own custom ant scripts to automate their processes.

I didn’t understand the part of the db, if you are playing with Windchill schema, you must use Windchill Information Modeler to create artifacts and generate db scripts, the WIM must only be installed on the dev system, and normally you deploy what you did from dev to test then to production.

Hello @Ben_A

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

Top Tags