cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

How to remove the classification from WT-Parts using a loader file? (Import from Spreadsheet method)

AA_9088454
1-Newbie

How to remove the classification from WT-Parts using a loader file? (Import from Spreadsheet method)

I have a list of WT-parts which were already classified with a node. If I want to change the node with a loader spreadsheet file, it is easy as we can simply change the classification name. But if I want to remove the classification of those WT-Parts using Loader spreadsheet file, how can I do it. Keeping classification column as empty is not working.

We can do it one by one manually as checking out, modify and checking in. But I have a lot of parts like that, I want to do it by Import from spreadsheet method.

2 REPLIES 2

@AA_9088454 wrote:

I have a list of WT-parts which were already classified with a node. If I want to change the node with a loader spreadsheet file, it is easy as we can simply change the classification name. But if I want to remove the classification of those WT-Parts using Loader spreadsheet file, how can I do it. Keeping classification column as empty is not working.

We can do it one by one manually as checking out, modify and checking in. But I have a lot of parts like that, I want to do it by Import from spreadsheet method.

@AA_9088454marykayintouch

Hello,

Here's how you can remove the classification from WT-Parts using a loader file (Import from Spreadsheet method) in PTC Windchill:

The key is to set a specific value in the classification column, not leaving it empty.

There are two main approaches you can take:

1. Using a special value:

PTC Windchill uses a concept called "unassign" values for certain attributes.
Consult your Windchill documentation or administrator to identify the specific "unassign" value for the classification attribute.
In your loader spreadsheet, enter this "unassign" value in the classification column for the parts you want to unclassify.

2. Using a custom attribute:

If the "unassign" value concept isn't available, consider creating a custom attribute for this purpose. This attribute can be a simple string type.
In your loader spreadsheet, introduce a new column for this custom attribute.
Set a specific value (e.g., "UNCLASSIFIED") in this custom attribute column for the parts you want to unclassify.
During the loader import process, map this custom attribute to the existing classification attribute using Windchill's mapping functionality. This tells Windchill to essentially overwrite the existing classification with "UNCLASSIFIED".

Make sure you have the necessary permissions to modify classifications and use the loader functionality.
It's recommended to test your loader file on a small set of parts before applying it to a large number.
Consider creating a backup of your data before making any significant changes.

By following these steps, you should be able to effectively remove classifications from your WT-Parts using a loader spreadsheet file.

I hope the information may help you. 

Hello @AA_9088454

It looks like you have a response from a community member. If it helped you solve your question please mark the reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

Top Tags