cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Fields Created based on Criteria

ptc-5150641
1-Newbie

Fields Created based on Criteria

My question to the community, is it possible to have fields be automatically created based upon certain criteria? Right now, in my template I have to create the fields and then determine when they are visible based on a certain criteria. I would rather the field actually be created when the criteria is met instead of having to create a 100 redundant fields. For example, I have Row A with 5 fields once all 5 fields have been filled, Row B is created with the same 5 fields that would need to be filled out before Row C can be generated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5150641)

Hi Anthony,

Maybe you should "redesign" your data.

I understand you have an item type "Template". These Templates can hold a volatile number of other certain data sets you would call "Row a" or "Row B" containing "identical" 5 fields.

How About this:

• Create a Type called "MyRow" with 5 fields
  • Create a Relationship field in "template contains", to relate "Template" and "MyRow" items and add it to the Template Item type.
  • Use use some trigger scripts that create and link "MyRow" Items automatically based on the value set in the Template.

HTH Matthias

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Anthony,

As far as I have seen, Integrity does not have the ability to dynamically create new fields, it can only show or hide existing fields. Creating a new field alters the structure of the backend database, so it would be a performance hit if users were able to create them on the fly.

You might be able to get similar functionality using triggers, but I would recommend opening a support ticket to get recommendations more tailored to your specific situation.

Hope that helps,

Matt

mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5150641)

Hi Anthony,

Maybe you should "redesign" your data.

I understand you have an item type "Template". These Templates can hold a volatile number of other certain data sets you would call "Row a" or "Row B" containing "identical" 5 fields.

How About this:

• Create a Type called "MyRow" with 5 fields
  • Create a Relationship field in "template contains", to relate "Template" and "MyRow" items and add it to the Template Item type.
  • Use use some trigger scripts that create and link "MyRow" Items automatically based on the value set in the Template.

HTH Matthias

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:mrump)

This is certainly the approach I would have recommended if this were a support ticket.

If the process for doing this is unclear, then as Matt suggested, please contact PTC Integrity Support for more information.

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags