cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Is there a way to revert to a previous version of a member in Config Mgmnt?

Software
3-Visitor

Is there a way to revert to a previous version of a member in Config Mgmnt?

My user wants to roll back a member to a previous version.  I know there is a way to do this in other tools.  Can PTC Integrity do this?

Thanks,

Ginny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:Software)

Hi Ginny Merlino‌,

CS158408 covers how to do this, in the way Thierry Dalon described.

-Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Ginny,

Possibly you may be interested in RFC # 955243, "Support "merge changes out" via the GUI".  You might want to open a Support case, with your particular scenario, or clarify your use-case, because:

You may already be able to do what you're looking for, depending on what you specifically mean by "roll back a member to a previous version", and how you expect the revision numbers to look, with this "revert", and if this is only touching the working file, or not.

ex.  If you have a "good" revision 1.6 and check in a "broken" revision 1.7, and you want to revert to 1.6 revision, you can do that.  You can either continue with a 1.8 revision, or you can "Update Member Revision" and have subsequent check-ins on that project member create 1.6.1.1, 1.6.1.2, etc.

If you're trying to remove or "merge out" contents of specific revisions from your working file, you can do this via the CLI (but not the GUI, hence the RFC I mentioned - as most folks want to do this via the GUI).

ex.

si merge -r 1.7 -r 1.6 <working file>

* this would remove or "merge out" the changes between 1.7 and 1.6

This is our situation.

Check in one:  check in the file   v1.1

Check in two:  Check in the member again   v1.2

We want to revert back to v1.1.  Getting the next revision 1.3 after doing this would be okay.

In your example, you said  "You can either continue with 1.8 revision"...this is what we would like to do.    How do you do this?

Thanks!

tdalon
4-Participant

Hi Ginny

It is not possible to erase a revision.

You can branch from a previous revision as Michael mentioned: simply check-out the older revision and check-in over it.

If you don't want to branch then it is a manual process:

you have to get the old revision (example check-out with no lock selecting the specific revision).

backup/copy manually this file as file_rev1.1.

Check-out the head revision. (1.2)

copy the backup and overwrite the working file.

Check-in: new revision 1.3 as same content as 1.2.

For ASCII file you can revert by copy/pasting from the clipboard the content of the file (no need to backup the file here.)

I don't know a better way.

You could script this process.

HTH

Thierry

Software
3-Visitor
(To:tdalon)

Thanks for the info!!  Much appreciated.

mrump
14-Alexandrite

Thierry Dalon wrote:

Hi Ginny

It is not possible to erase a revision.

Hi Thierry,

actually it is possible to "erase" a Revision (depending on the Integrity release you use).

The command is "si deleterevision".

But there are some things you need to keep in mind:

1. deleting a revision is only possible as long as there is not checkpoint refering to this particular revision.

2. the deleted revision number is burnt.

PTC User Manual 10.6

• Only delete a revision when you are certain you will never need it again. Once you delete a revision, it cannot be retrieved. Any historical checkpoints based on a particular revision become invalid if that revision is deleted. A revision cannot be deleted if it is the starting point (root) of a branch. You should never delete the head revision of an archive.
  • Any existing locks on revisions are removed when those revisions are deleted.
  • By default Integrity determines if the revision exists in other locations. If the revision is used in other projects, Integrity warns you that deleting the selected revision will break the listed items

In Ginny's case this would mean, that deleting the revision 1.2 makes it disappear from the members history completely and the next checkin in can only create a revision 1.3.

HTH Matthias

Software
3-Visitor
(To:mrump)

Thanks for all of the information.

But just to clarify, I really didn't want to erase the revision.  I just wanted to replace the member with the latest revision - I guess that's the head? - with the contents of a previous revision and have the revision number increment.  In another tool that we use, you can do this in the GUI.

Thanks!

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hi Ginny Merlino‌,

CS158408 covers how to do this, in the way Thierry Dalon described.

-Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Thanks,.Kael!!  This is exactly what I was looking for!!

Have a good day, all!

tdalon
4-Participant
(To:KaelLizak)

Hi Kael

The CS you mention does not really explain what I've tried to explain with the manual backup and overwrite.

If you follow "Revert revision for Member Files" instructions

---

Revert revision for Member Files

1. Right click member file, select Update member revision… or press F7
  2. If you do not see Update member revision…, choose Customize This Menu… -> + -> Action -> Configuration Management / Member -> Update member revision -> OK -> OK, this will add Update member revision… to your right click menu
  3. In Revisions tab, select a specific revision
  4. Click OK
  5. Resynchronize the sandbox

---

and then check-in it will create a branch, right?

Step 5 could be replaced by "Resync" (F6) the file or "Revert to member revision" (Alt+F6)

It is also good to know you can trigger the action from the member history view.

Software
3-Visitor

Thanks, Therry.

Top Tags